Collector's Arcana: This edition of the basic set features cover artwork by Erol Otus - the art so distinctive that it often
serves to define the set. Rather than being a later printing of the "Holmes Set", it is more accurately described as a Second Edition Basic Ruleset. It contains a 64 page, 3-hole
punched rulebook, the module B2 Keep on the Borderlands and 6 dice as well as a dice crayon. Also contained
is the catalog Gateway to Adventure as well as an RPGA Membership advertisement and a product survey.
Description (From the back cover)
"Fire and smoke surround you as you swing your sword and land a mighty
blow upon the dragon's head. The great creature crashes to the ground
with a thud. The treasure lies only a short distance past the dragon's
body. Your eyes gleam. Reaches beyond your wildes dreams await you. You
race forward to calm your prize, heart pounding in anticipation. From
nowhere a huge man dressed in black armor steps out in front of you,
blocking your way. The treasure is no more than an arm's reach behind
'None shall pass!' he warns. 'What do you want to
do now?' asks the Dungeon Master. This is what it is like to
participate in a DUNGEONS & DRAGONS® game. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS®
Fantasy Adventure game is probably unlike any other game you've played
before. In D&D® adventures players take the roles of elves,
dwarves, halflings, or humans. They will wander through dark dungeons,
meet strange wizards, and battle ferocious dragons. Playing a D&D
game is like writing a novel with each player contributing a part.
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS fantasy game is the
original 'role playing' game and now it is easier than ever to play.
The rules are easy to read and understand and have been specially
organized for new players. Anyone can join in a D&D adventure. The
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Basic Set has everything you need to begin
playing D&D games. In this box are a rulebook, dice, and a special
instructional module. In short, everything needed to start playing
quickly, including desciptions of over 100 monsters.
So enter the Gateway to Adventure, — step into
the world of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS fantasy role playing game, a world
of endless excitement and thrilling fun."
- Outer box (see picture above).
- "Fantasy Adventure Game Basic Rulebook": booklet, three-hole punched, 64 pages. ISBN 0-935696-48-2 (also sold seperateley) (see picture at the bottom).
- "B2 The Keep on the Borderlands": booklet, two-fold cover, 28 pages. ISBN 0-935696-47-4 (also sold seperately) (see picture at the bottom).
- "Gateway to Adventure" 1981 product catalog (see picture at the bottom). 1068XXX1201 and 1068XXX1202
- Dice and crayon (see picture at the bottom). 1068XXX1201 and 1068XXX1202
- DRAGON advertisement, customer reply form, RPGA advertisement and RPGA envelope.