Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Chainmail and OD&D

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Chainmail and OD&D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep
View previous topic :: View next topic  

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Chainmail and OD&D Reply with quote

Question.

Was Chainmail ever sold as a supplement to be used with the OD&D rules set? Meaning, did TSR ever tout the two as being usable with the other? Also, are they specifically independent, in your opinion, as an experienced gamer?

I often find that Chainmail appears quite a bit in auction with OD&D sets as a total lot. I am not a gamer and have not been for a very long time. So I throw this question out to those more experience than me in gaming mechanics. I also look for opinions from those historians more experienced than me in the development of the OD&D game system AFTER the extensive development of CHAINMAIL miniature game system.

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Chainmail and OD&D Reply with quote

> Was Chainmail ever sold as a supplement to be used with the OD&D rules set? Meaning, did TSR ever tout the two as being usable with the other?

Not particularly, afaik, since by the time TSR acquired the rights to republish Chainmail, Greyhawk was hot on its heels (April 75-ish).
SR#1&2 give a reasonably clear picture from a TSR perspective 'though it would be interesting to have behind-the-scenes input on that (e.g. RJK), too. :)

> Also, are they specifically independent, in your opinion, as an experienced gamer?

Adequately so, but I'm a late-comer (1977).
Pre-Greyhawk reviews of D&D are few and far between but there are certainly people who didn't see any need to have Chainmail, too, amongst those.

> I often find that Chainmail appears quite a bit in auction with OD&D sets as a total lot. I am not a gamer and have not been for a very long time.

Would be curious to know the ratio that appear in complete "sets" for sale pre-/post- S&S. Wink

=

aside: *wow* re. those IFWs - both numbers thereof and for taking the time to post the contents in that much detail. Many thanks for that!

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested, Lowrys Guidon #6 has a sort of Chainmail expansion by W. A. Rogers.

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent Foster and Paul Stormberg have both discussed the "need" for Chainmail with OD&D, in particular on Finarvyn's OD&D board as well as Dragonsfoot and on Knights & Knaves.

To summarize, OD&D refers back to Chainmail for a lot of mechanics and processes for combat management, as well as spells and such. See
http://odd74.proboards76.com/index.cgi?board=chainmail&action=display&thread=1182569975
for some info, although I can't find the posts I'm thinking of explicitly.
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: