Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Policy on unrefined/speculative data in the research forums?

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Policy on unrefined/speculative data in the research forums?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Guy Fullerton
Student
Student

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Policy on unrefined/speculative data in the research forums? Reply with quote

I'd like to start contributing to the Middle-earth Role Playing section in part to synergize with my own strongly-related project, but also because this feels like the best place to talk about unrefined or speculative printing data.

For example, I just found an eBay auction listing that shows an early printing of 2800 Isengard and Northern Gondor that I was not previously aware of. I don't have many details about it, obviously, but I'd like to make its existence known in hopes that someone can provide appropriate images & data.

Are the research forums a suitable place for that? Should the query be added to the existing thread for 2800 Isengard, or should it be in a separate thread?

What's the policy for posts in the research forums that transcend a single product? Is it appropriate to start a thread in the Iron Crown Enterprises forum that attempts to figure out (for example) when ICE started using UPC barcodes on their products?

The strongly-related project is a Printing and Edition Reference for MERP Middle-earth Role Playing products:
http://homepage.mac.com/guyf/MERP/PrintingEditionReference.html

Since I don't have a forum of my own for the few contributors that are helping me with my project (we currently communicate over email, which isn't great for wide information dissemination), I was hoping to direct them here. Admittedly, I can't say that the fruits of the discussion will lead to more entries on Tome of Treasures. I can't promise that I'd be nicely formatting any data outside of my own site ... but I certainly wouldn't object to people gathering knowledge from and referencing images from my site to post here.

Is it reasonable to direct people here for this sort of discussion?

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff!

Re: Individual items, discussions/submissions/new printings occur within the specific title (provided the publisher is the same)

Re: General discussions, use the Sticky at the top of the thread

Quote:
Is it reasonable to direct people here for this sort of discussion?

Yes. The Tome Forum area was conceived as an ongoing research vehicle allowing for the creation of sub-communities within the greater genre.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go ahead and fill out our roster of products with an individual thread for each item and/or encourage those you invite to do the same. That way, the discussion pertaining to that item will remain largely confined in an easy to find/use/add-to format. Any bit of information about an item is useful. Speculative information is great as it leads to discussion and peer review from which a general consensus can develop.

Quote:
(we currently communicate over email, which isn't great for wide information dissemination)

I hear ya. This was the impetus driving us toward the creation of the forums. Information is easily lost in the grind of many emails. The forums immediately leave fresh ideas and information open for peer review and growth in the hobby.

If you have ideas on how to better organize the ICE area of the Research Forums, don't hesitate to ask.

Guy Fullerton
Student
Student

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, thanks guys. I'll try to start adding info today, maybe during lunch.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy,

I just clicked through your site a bit. Looks good. I especially like this color-coded detail to delineate major print differences for certain products. It makes your archive that much more dynamic to use.

Quote:

* Major Differences include at least one significant change to a product's front cover. Major differences are generally very obvious when viewing a picture from an auction listing. Products with major differences may also include medium and minor differences.
* Medium Differences include at least one significant change to a product's back cover or other content (such as a map). Medium differences would be easy to detect in an auction picture if the seller provided an image of the back cover and/or the other content. Products with medium differences may also include minor differences.
* Minor Differences include small detail changes to the interior or exterior of a product. You typically wouldn't notice minor differences unless you were intentionally looking for them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Town Crier All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: