Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Big collection for sale

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Big collection for sale
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Market Square
View previous topic :: View next topic  

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Big collection for sale Reply with quote

After about 18 months without giving any news, I needed a catchy topic to get your attention.
I hope this is done Wink

This is not a joke, though, even if I'll probably no part with everything. But I want to sell a large quantity, because I need the room and the money. If you can read French, you may want to read my post in the french forum to know more. To make it short, I was an happy single man for years. I'm now an happy 50% percent (at least, I like to imagine I count for 50%) of a couple. But as it could be expected at nearly 40, she didn't arrive alone. So add two children in the package...

The first step was to start to move my a**, that's the reason for this post ! As I said, I have not decide exactly of what will go, nor how will I sell it. But I remember something from my ebay days : the burntwire sales. Every week, I was waiting to see what treasures they would auction this time. My collection is nowhere near Devon and Shawn's one in term of quality, but I still hope for some fun while the sales will run. And for all the more common stuff, well, I still have to find a way to part with a few thousands of books that interest noone in France except me !

For those who don't know me, I'm french (as you probably have guessed by the previous sentence...) and I was mainly interested in generic / non TSR fantasy RPG. So don't expect TSR gems, because I have none, except maybe the 1st print woody. But I think I do have some interesting items for collectors anyway.

Now that the first step is done, what's next ?
- I will start a first round of auctions this week-end, problably no more than 10-12 items because I don't have a lot of time. This will be on ebay.fr, I'll post a link in ToT forum.
- I will also start a list of the stuff I don't intend to sell on ebay. Maybe I'll find people interested to buy lots directly, for example. Hmm, don't expect this list too soon, though...

Well, I made some promises in this post, this SHOULD be enough for me to really start the work now !

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new life! It will add depth and meaning to things never before imagined. I'm very happy for you!!! How old are your kids?

CorPse
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not be in the running for your treasures, but it will be cool to see the roll out.

As a relatively recently married fellow, I wish you all the best!

cP

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for your kind words.
Kynan, kids are 11 (girl) and 9 (boy). Considering I met their mother about 2 years ago, I'm not totally sure I'm the father Wink

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah, yeah. A family's a family. That's all that really counts. If the kids see the parents treat each other well, then they'll expect that from their relationships. I don't know about France, but marriages crack in the states right and left. The responsible parent usually ends up with the kids. We see several families made up of two groups of kids from previous relationships. It seems to work pretty well.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shock and Awe

NO! BUY A BIGGER HOUSE!!!

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new family. I will suggest that you should keep a few things to play with the kids should they show an interest.

Since you are in France, I wonder if Ebay is the way you should go or rather, set prices and list them on various forums. The market isn't the greatest right now and some people are scared by foreign shipping.

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. A family's a family. That's all that really counts. If the kids see the parents treat each other well, then they'll expect that from their relationships. I don't know about France, but marriages crack in the states right and left. The responsible parent usually ends up with the kids. We see several families made up of two groups of kids from previous relationships. It seems to work pretty well.

Well, that's pretty the same in France. I think that the divorce rate, at least in "big" cities, is over 66%... We're not married, but will try to improve the statistics anyway !

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scribe wrote:
Shock and Awe

NO! BUY A BIGGER HOUSE!!!

Hi Adam !
For the house, that's already done, but it's still not big enough... Bigger would be too expensive. Unless we choose one with some heavy works to do.
I know someone who could take care of that, but he lives a bit far from France Wink

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars wrote:
Congrats on the new family. I will suggest that you should keep a few things to play with the kids should they show an interest.

Since you are in France, I wonder if Ebay is the way you should go or rather, set prices and list them on various forums. The market isn't the greatest right now and some people are scared by foreign shipping.

Hi Mark !
I'll keep some stuff, sure. Some old D&D/AD&D, because that's what I started with some 25 years ago. Most of the french stuff, probably. And some non TSR that I may want read again, later. I have a secret tenderness for Role Aids books...

Your remark about the market is interesting. I intended to auction every book at 1 euro (yes, to make things even worse, it will be euros !), hoping that they reach a decent price. As a buyer, I've always avoided to bid on auctions with a reserve price, because it was usually a waste of time. So I won't set reserve. But I may decide to start the auctions higher, at the lower price I would accept to sell. If there's no bidding, it will be a good (even if unpleasant...) information.
I will auction a Wee Warriors Labyrinthine this week-end, it'll be a good test. I don't know yet if I will "dare" to start at 1 euro, or choose a more cautious approach, with a start price at something like 100, for example.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guys seem to have had good luck selling the entire collection in one swoop. I'd consider trying that. Let it go at a discount but save a bunch of time trying to parse it away.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also Nobleknight. I've got rid a lot of stuff there. He even pays for shipping! As far as what he'll pay for something, it depends on the item. The best thing to do is offer a group of items with a description and he'll come back with an offer.

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll consider these options too, I'm open-minded right now...

Anyway, I have kept my word, this time, and auctioned 10 varied items:
- Legendes + Legendes / Accessoires (french RPG)
- Flash Gordon & the Warriors of Mongo - FGU - 1977
- Crystal's Pleasure Palace - Quicksilver Fantasies
- Generic - Fanstasy Game par Hans Reiser - 1984
- The Emerald Tablet - Creative Wargames Workshop - 1977
- Two TSR coloring books
- VARIANT, Gaming Aid Quaterly (9 issues)
- Monstrum 1 - Varanae - 1980
- The Occult Lovecraft - Gerry de la Ree - 1975
- Labyrinthine - Wee Warriors - 1977

Everything starts at 1 euro, no reserve.
The link on ebay.fr : http://shop.ebay.fr/theshield2000/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good list of varied items. It will be a good test to see how the market is doing and I hope they do well for you.

It might be interesting take a selection of items and ask NK what he would offer you for them but you would probably do better by selling them on Ebay. I traded some extra stuff into NK a couple of weeks ago but probaby won't do it again. In general, the more interesting nonTSR items I traded in are now for sale at around a 500% or more markup.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he'll get it too! I can't believe what he's gotten for the stuff I sold him, and I made money. It's incredible. I've lost confidence in ebay as a selling vehicle for rpgs. The only rpgs I list are the ones he doesn't want or has multiple copies of. All of my aces will be headed that way when the time comes. I think it's a combination of a great reputation and the not-ebay factor. Ebay has the taint of being screwed attached to it.

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Christophe, and best of luck with your new family! Very Happy

If you decide to part with any O'Reilly, Erol Otus, Tri Tac, etc. geomorph-ish stuff, I'd certainly be interested in some of them (as would others, I'm sure!).

re: ebay being a down market: in general I agree, but what are your thoughts re: hard-to-find non-TSR stuff?---my sense is that they've held their own pretty well, in general, for the uncommon to very-scarce stuff.
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan,
and thank you for your congratulations !

(bit of self-advertisment): The VARIANT magazines for sale right now are from Reilly Associates... You can buy issue #1 from Crazyegor for $6.66, or issue #1 plus 8 other issues for half that price from me (well, currently, but I admit I'd appreciate if it could end a bit higher Wink )

A lot of non TSR will go, including Tri Tac stuff. I will auction some more items next week-end, and hopefully have a first list with a few hundreds items on it.

Hmmm, $1.50 for 1 euro, the rate has never been that high (or low, depending on which side you're on) since the creation of euro. Definitely the best moment for me to try to sell internationally...

And if anyone wants to help a young and lovely couple (!), feel free to post a link to my sales on RPG-related forums. A french fellow collector did it for Acaeum, may his name be honored for the next five centuries.

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first round is now over, congratulations to all the winners !

I spend some time to set up a list, it's far from finished, but a first version with mostly Non TSR stuff can be found here :http://theshield38.perso.neuf.fr/TheShield.zip
It contains "only" about 350 items, so even the Non TSR section is incomplete. No TSR items are included yet, no magazines either, etc.
It should be a good starting point, though. I will consider direct offers, but I've not included prices in this list for the moment. I think I could accept to part with all of them, if the price is right.
I didn't had the time to choose which items to auction this week. As I'll be away during the next week-end, I may wait 2 weeks before the next round.

You can PM me through ToT for any question, request, comment, whatever.

I'll contact shortly everybody who won items tonight, some may prefer to have a look at the list before.

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next round is coming soon. I intend to start 10 days auctions on thursday, so they'll end on Sunday evening (french time), the November 1st.

And for ToT members only, the list (I'm sooo lame at advertising...):
- 13 issues of Dragon Lords fanzine in one lot (3,5,7,8,11-14,16-18,20,21)
- Kandroc Keep, by B. Asbury
- 5 Ysgarth booklets (supplements 1,2,3 and adventure series 1,2)
- M.A.R Barker Book of Ebon Bindings
- Little Soldier Ringbearer (olive cover)
- Fantasy Monsters and Robots, by E.J. Dobrianski
- Wee Warriors Dogtags
- D&D Character sheets, Tom Wham cover
- 6 boxes of D&D candy figures (before my new found kids get sick by trying to eat 25 years old candies !)
- Dark Cults, the first story-telling game in 1983, by Dark House

Scans can be seen at http://theshield38.perso.neuf.fr/20091101/ Only the first 6 DL has been scanned, I'm not sure I'll post the other.

(sorting and scanning took my available time tonight, so the ongoing private sales did not really advance tonight... I sincerely apologize, and send all the answers tomorrow. Really...)

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanzines have been doing well lately so they should do well. Kandroc Keep is pretty rare (maybe 1 a year on Ebay).

The gem is the Fantasy Monsters and Robots, by E.J. Dobrianski. I think I have only seen 1 other copy. Still on my list of things to do to talk to Ed Dobrianski and see if he has copies around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Market Square All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: