Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Most meaningful collectible in your collection

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Most meaningful collectible in your collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep
View previous topic :: View next topic  

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Most meaningful collectible in your collection Reply with quote

I've been going through my TSR/D&D collection, deciding what to keep and what to sell. I can't believe how many rare things are in there, but it got me wondering what collectible was the most meaningful in a given collection. I have several candidates, but I think the most meaningful D&D collectible I own is The Dungeon Hobby Shop Dungeon. There isn't anything out there remotely like it. All of the great people who played it, the history and the proximity to history. What a wonderful snapshot of the greatest days in FRP.

How about you guys?

Chromatic-Knight
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most meaningful item has to be my original DMG. It has seen many long years and brings back all those memories every time I see it.

Mike

cgould42
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For both nostalgic and historical reasons I would say my copy of the Holmes basic set. I believe that it was the Holmes set which launched D&D into the public eye. It is also what got me into the game. I can still remember picking it up off the shelf at my local toy store (yes, they had those back then).

I must say though, the Dungeon Hobby Shop dungeon has to be considered one of the great artifacts of FRP.

Cheers,
Curt

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I must say though, the Dungeon Hobby Shop dungeon has to be considered one of the great artifacts of FRP.

It really is an incredible document. I put a bid of $4K on it and didn't expect to win, given its uniqueness and history and the bidding competition at the time. We were beating the crap out of each other on just about everything that came up. Naturally, I was doing cartwheels when it closed for $1231. It's the best FRP piece I have.

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
It really is an incredible document. I put a bid of $4K on it and didn't expect to win

I guess that's 1.82 "Thanks" to Puerto Rico, when adjusted for inflation (4,000/2,200). Wink

Mhmm... good item: what's it like in play, out of interest? :)

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tie for me. Mark me down for A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity. Just the plain old module. Nothing takes me back to a most pleasant aspect of my childhood like that module. The other item is the original Roslof painting for C2 Inverness. It has stayed next to my desk for quite some time now.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, your right! My memory's going. Is that when the 1st woodgrains were going for 4? I know I put in a 4 bid once (and am very glad I lost considering what brown boxes are going for now). Boy, I'm glad I'm getting out.

bombadil
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harami wrote:
tfm wrote:
It really is an incredible document. I put a bid of $4K on it and didn't expect to win

I guess that's 1.82 "Thanks" to Puerto Rico, when adjusted for inflation (4,000/2,200). Wink

Mhmm... good item: what's it like in play, out of interest? :)

This would also have to rank as the most prized item in my collection HAD I WON IT! Damn, still kicking myself over that one, but hey, it was a lovely time in PR.

(FYI, I believe my bid was in the $3550 range, so Kynan would have kicked my ass anyway... Very Happy.)

Of things I actually (still) own, it may be the woodgrain purchased in Gygax's basement. Was the WG5 manuscript until I buckled and sold it. Crying or Very sad

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you would have won it. I checked. I did bid $2200 + change. The $4K that I thought I bid was for a primo woodgrain that was up (I'm glad I lost). The passage of time is starting to blur on me pretty badly. I used to keep really good records, but stopped doing so a few years ago.

The mapping is really the gem of the item. It's simply incredible. The is no obvious rationale for the encounters that are laid out from room to room, and I can't imagine a scenario that would produce it. If there's a dragon in one room and a band of orcs next door, then they either serve the dragon as slaves or as breakfast. The whole thing is very reminiscent of B2, actually, but with less story and more hack/slay.

stratochamp
Student
Student

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: most meaningful collectable in your collection Reply with quote

that's a very hard question but i suppose i would say rob kuntz's original brown box (and books). a lot of history was made with those books at the center of it all.

TheMilford
Student
Student

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

First post here...

Mine would be my White Box that Dave Sutherland gave me about 16 years ago. Volume One has Dave's lines and scribbles in it. He also gave me minty copies of Swords & Spells and G,D&H both 1st prints... Along with a bunch of other stuff (shrinked S4, FINE S3 1st, FINE F-116-R 1st, etc.) .

But Dave's OD&D box is my most treasured.

Cheers,
David

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Most meaningful collectible in your collection Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
[snip]what collectible was the most meaningful in a given collection. [snip] How about you guys?

Probably RJK's 6 Castle Greyhawk levels for me, although I still have strong nostalgic ties for my correspondence with RJK and EGG from c. 1987-89, too.
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: