Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Lost images

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Lost images

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> RPG General Provisioner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Beyondthebreach
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Lost images Reply with quote

Howdy everyone!

I received a pm from cgould42 yesterday:

cgould42 wrote:
Hello Paul:

You are most likely already be aware of this but some of your images on the Tome don't seem to be available anymore. Twilight 2K as an example. Is all OK?

Cheers,
Curt

Yes, everything is okay with me. Very Happy I quite forgot about Tome images, but I wanted to bring this up as it was something we had discussed many times previously. Basically, my web hosting server "disappeared" without a trace . . .

I hadn't worried about it too much as I probably should have dropped them awhile back and I was sick of paying them $6.00 a month anyway . . . plus I have alternate options for web hosting.

However . . . I was using that service to post some of the initials images I placed on the Tome . . . later on, when I was an admin, I began to use the Tome's webspace, but I am sure there are many images that are no longer available.

I can try to get them sent out to one of you to upload to a different directory if you like, but that will also require editing the POST and I also don't know which ones have been affected (without searching them out).

Anyway . . . let me know if you need some images and also I figured it would be something for you all to discuss on how to deal with (If you haven't figured something out already. Wink )

Self-hosted images will almost all, ultimately, "disappear" as people change hosts, servers, links or just accidentally delete them as time goes by . . .

"Yes . . . it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few items on my wishlist. One of the biggies is a system for making submissions permanently stored on our server. The main reason for this as pointed out, is they can be easily 'lost' under a number of different circumstances. Another reason is I think asking members to store their images elsewhere makes making submissions a bit less attractive.

At some point, you will see some changes. One of those changes will be converting the current forum content into something that integrates with our archive pages. At that time, we will be capturing, watermarking, and storing images to date, on our bandwidth to permanently mark our efforts.

I will eventually try to swing through to find what images are broken, regarding your submissions, Paul. I will ping you with a list at that time.

cgould42
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much server space is currently available for images?

Cheers,
Curt

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space is not a problem at all. We could always rent much more if necessary. It is more about getting the images from contributor's hosts to our servers. I can do this by hand, but I'd prefer to invest my energies in other ways. It is a matter of writing a program to lift the images as they are now in the forums and uploading them to our folders. Then we need a program that allows contributors to upload both images and information to more permanent page on the site. Sort of like wiki, but different.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you pls post an example and I will look in the database how many posts are affected. Paul if you can pls send me the pictures I will upload them to TOT webspace and try and fix the posts with the new URL.
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> RPG General Provisioner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: