Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Collectibilty of Adventurer's Guild

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Collectibilty of Adventurer's Guild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep
View previous topic :: View next topic  

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Collectibilty of Adventurer's Guild Reply with quote

Some years ago, you might recall Rhea Shelley blasting on the scene with a full set of these. Now, as you know, these adventures were issued to only participating stores by the RPGA at the time. So the only way to buy them as collectors, was to go get them directly from those participating stores that happened to have held onto them. Rhea did just that in amassing his collection and actually mentioned that there were very few locations he wasn't able to reach out to in doing as much.

How do you guys feel about these? Do you have many of them? Should these go the way of Jade Hare coverless due to simple production; which in some instances was electronically issued?

cgould42
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have any of them but I think they are interesting and would eventually like to own a set. I would however only ever pay a nominal fee for them as even though these are rare they were not professionally printed and could easily be duplicated.

Cheers,
Curt

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Value-wise they are a good collectible. TSR collectors want them. I have a few, but am not interested in active acquiring them one at a time. If a complete/near complete set should appear, I'll put a huge bid on it, but my time is more important to me. I don't want my headstone to read, "He died trying to collect TSR." They're like the IFW. A good collectible but time-wise prohibitive.

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these are very collectible but in the scheme of things they are very rare and difficult to collect. A few years ago, I tried to contact all of the Canadian stores listed in Polyhedron and was able to track down 0 of the adventures. Most stores had a vague recollection of the items but they either lost them, recycled them, game them away as prizes or the DM running them at the time took them. I imagine a similar result for the majority of other stores.

I would think that completing a set would be next to impossible now.

There has been one seller on Ebay that seems to have had a number of them for sale though and they have sold with varying success. The D&D related ones go well but the other ones sell fairly cheaply (some below $25).

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are hard to find, which makes having a complete collection of TSR/D&D next to impossible. That said, I happen to think that there is much more out there in the TSR department than people think. I think its pompous to assume that our collecting circle represents TSR/D&D collecting. You know there's got to be quiet collectors out there who have had the intelligence enough to avoid the whole 'collecting scene' with its seedy, dishonest underbelly. Obviously, there are collectors out there who picked up things as they came out or have attended gaming conventions for decades. Collections like than can stand up to any of ours. Only pride would make someone think otherwise. I'm pretty content collecting what I collect. If I was starting brand new today, I'd choose a current company and collect every product they produce. In 40 years it would be like D&D is now.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completist work is a tall order. I hope the tome can come as close as any one person ever will, with the goal being images and info on everything.

I think copies of these are certainly something to be concerned about. I am not so familiar with this being a big problem in our community. Certainly will never be as bad as phishing scams which are threatening to destroy eBay as we know it. Thats a matter for another thread. These modules are so tough to get, I am not sure an interested party could infiltrate into a position to pervert.

Something else to consider are those interested in play settings. The Greyhawk people and Dragonlance people could be even more driven to assemble complete collections. And the availability would certainly stand in the way those goals. Planescape Sketchbook is a fine example of this. PS collectors are possibly more driven to get their hands on that item as some of the general completist are. The end result is a $2000 book.

All told, I have managed to get as many as 55 of these, in one large purchase and several trades. IIRC, I have only 40 unique which is nearly half of those available. With trades, I could probably get within striking distance, if I wanted to.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
That said, I happen to think that there is much more out there in the TSR department than people think.

Some of you might remember Cernunnos, aka Shaun. He was one of the first ones at the Tome when I was working on the initial outline for the site. He had been working on a comprehensive RPGA adventure list that was mighty impressive. There are thousands of adventures that were approved and distributed by the RPGA network of various degrees of publish from print to electronic. Thousands of adventures and growing.

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an impressive collection of Adventurer's Guild modules. At the beginning, there were only about 100 stores that are on the list so the number printed is very small. I think that most stores also tend to throw this stuff out if it had been sitting around for a couple of years so the window of opportunity to get them would be limited. I'm sure there are also a number that did save them but I don't have too many doubts that various collectors have called the rest of the stores on the retail lists so anything that has survived has made it into someone else's hands.

With the Jade Hare, I think it was a lot easier for it to survive. People who ordered it did so with the card from the D&D boxed game. It was fairly easy for those that received their copy to put it into the box and leave it there. I think about 50% of the Jade Hare copies that show up include the boxed game.

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scribe wrote:
There are thousands of adventures that were approved and distributed by the RPGA network of various degrees of publish from print to electronic. Thousands of adventures and growing.

Yes, there are lots of Living Greyhawk, Jungle, etc modules approved over the last 10 or so years (?). This all stems from the Living campaigns partitioning the Earth into various regions within each campaign setting. Each region then had their own set of tournaments for each year of the campaign.

I have a few of these but for the most part they are simple laser printer printouts. Most were intended for download from the RPGA and some were sent out printed up already (but still available for download). The Adventurer Guild modules have a higher production quality. Bclarkie had a large pile that he received for free with one of the auctions that he won - he has since sold off most of them (maybe all) and surprisingly enough they have sold for reasonable good prices.

OolEurts
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're interesting but wouldn't pay more than $20 per copy for them, hence I'll probably never own one. Wink
This is one item I'd be perfectly happy to have photocopies of since there was no artwork or any other fancy publishing associated with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: