Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Death of Greyhawk

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Death of Greyhawk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Death of Greyhawk Reply with quote

I was reading on WOTC website that the Living Greyhawk campaign will be discontinued by the end of this year. So no more official products, no more support by the RPGA - is this the end of the oldest D&D world?
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

cgould42
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stranger things have happened but I doubt they would completely give up on one of their most popular campaign settings. I would not be surprised with some sort of change but I am sure Greyhawk will live on in some form.

...knock on wood Wink

Cheers,
Curt

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, GH is heading for the grave, again. Since its inception, GH has pretty-much been killed outright twice: 1993-1997 (the span between the end of the post-Gygax-departure/Sargent era support for early 2e and the relaunch of the Greyhawk 98 products), and 2001-2004 (the time between the publication of the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer/the launch of the LG campaign [which ironically made GH "supported" but not generally available outside of the RPGA] and GH as the "core setting" [which got to be more drek from a classic GH POV as the years rolled by] and the beginning of the "PaizoHawk" era of GH support [with Maure Castle, the Age of Worms and Savage Tide APs, etc.]).

This time of GH as undead won't (hopefully) be any different from other interregnums, and GH will rise, phoenix-like, from the ashes of the "points of light" crap they're coming up with now Very Happy

Also, for those of you who are considering attending GenCon, various GH fans are fomenting support for the setting at the show (since the final death of GH is supposed to occur at Origins). Initials thoughts/details at Canonfire! @ http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2955
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan do you still play GH?

I am considering starting a GH campaign with my old players (574 with N1...) if time permits.

OolEurts
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt we'll ever see GH supported as a setting by WotC ever again. Its only chance as a published setting is if it gets licensed out to another company to tackle but I doubt WotC will want the competition. It will live on with us though...

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermilionfire wrote:
I doubt we'll ever see GH supported as a setting by WotC ever again. Its only chance as a published setting is if it gets licensed out to another company to tackle but I doubt WotC will want the competition. It will live on with us though...

And I think you are absolutely correct on this. It is exactly what I thought. First Dragon/Dungeon, now Greyhawk and what's next? And Gary is gone now... this is no good year for D&D.

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralf Toth wrote:
Allan do you still play GH?

I do, though I'm not at the moment (I'm playing in Caverns of Thracia, which is awesome! Very Happy ). I will pick up DMing in GH again once I am in a position to run S4 for our players sometime after CoT, though. I'm also planning out stuff for the Maure Castle environs (a more-expanded high-level setting than just the castle, including the extended lands/wilderness of the Maures and some other sundry properties like monasteries they supported, etc.).

Ralf Toth wrote:
I am considering starting a GH campaign with my old players (574 with N1...) if time permits.

N1's a great starter adventure, especially if you Cthulhu-it up Very Happy
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: