Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Chainmail Print Research

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Chainmail Print Research

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> D&D -> Original D&D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Chainmail Print Research Reply with quote

I was looking at the Chainmail description and thinking of Paul S. There's more than one printing of the 1st edition (he's got two different ones), and the first print of the third edition is on a tan cover. I hope Paul will share what he knows when he reads this.

The Collector's Trove
Student
Student

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Kynan,

Here's what I have so far (The 3rd ed. 1st print with a tan cover does not exist IMO. I think it is an artifact from early Acaeum heresay. At least no one can say they have one and can prove it with a scan.):

Chainmail (Guidon Games; 1st Edition, March 1971)
Chainmail (Guidon Games; 2nd Edition, 1st Print, August 1972)
Chainmail (Guidon Games; 2nd Edition, 2nd Print, November 1972, goldenrod cover)
Chainmail (Guidon Games; 2nd Edition, 3rd Print, February 1973, flimsy yellow cover)
Chainmail (Tactical Studies Rules; 3rd Edition, 1st Print, April 1975, silver cover, saddlestitched binding, GK logo)
Chainmail (Tactical Studies Rules; 3rd Edition, 2nd Print, July 1975, spiral binding)
Chainmail (Tactical Studies Rules; 3rd Edition, 3rd Print, June 1976, lizard logo)
Chainmail (Tactical Studies Rules; 3rd Edition, 4th Print, March 1977)
Chainmail (Tactical Studies Rules; 3rd Edition, 5th Print, Jan 1978, TSR 6002)
Chainmail (Tactical Studies Rules; 3rd Edition, 6th Print, Aug 1978)
Chainmail (Tactical Studies Rules; 3rd Edition, 7th Print, April 1979, wizard logo)
Chainmail (Tactical Studies Rules; 3rd Edition, 8th Print (states 7th Print, April 1979), Nov 1979, no price)

This last printing was printed in runs of 500 from 1980 until about 1999. Brian Blume had so ordered it due to the Random House distribution deal where TSR got a shelving kickback for every product they had on inventory. Even though the Chainmail copies were never distributed, TSR still got credit. There were pallets of these things sitting in TSR's warehouse. They were mostly sold out of the Dungeon Mail Order Hobby Shop. (I ordered one from them in shrinkwrap in 1994!)

The game Chainmail, while copyrighted, was never Trademarked. Jeff Perren still had the rights and 50% royalties until just a few months ago. Realizing the thing was not Trademarked he would have difficulty claiming infringement on his game title "Chainmail". So Jeff, in need of money, settled with Hasbro for $500. Bastages!

Futures Bright,

Paul

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the world's leading expert on OD&D material has spoken, will you allow me to update this page accordingly? For the new information, I would also like to add a "courtesy of Paul Stormberg" remark on that page. Is that all OK with you?
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After receiving written confirmation from Paul, I have updated the Chainmail page according to his research. Only I have stuck to the linear printing pattern, not distinguishing between the "editions".

We still need scans for the missing printings. If anyone can help out?
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is more of the Guidon Games early printings for this item here in the Wargames by Publisher Research Forums....

http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Original D&D All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: