Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Early use of the term, gamemaster

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Early use of the term, gamemaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep
View previous topic :: View next topic  

cgould42
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Early use of the term, gamemaster Reply with quote

I was reading Ironclad by Guidon Games(1973) when came across an early paragraph which grabbed my attention.

“To play, three or more people are the ideal number. This allows one person to be the gamemaster. He prepares the situation and referees it, while the others play the game….”

The term is then frequently use when describing the outline of the game.

I do not have any other Guidon Games’ titles and am curious if anyone knows if they or any other early wargames used the term gamemaster in this context.

Wikipedia (as of 2008-Feb-27) indicates that the term gamemaster was coined by Flying Buffalo in Tunnels and Trolls (1975) but likely had earlier use in PBM games.

Cheers,
Curt

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBM stretches back well into the 60's. I might assume some might utilize a referee or game master. This is purely presumptive on my part.

Interesting topic.

cgould42
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBM definitely had a caretaker role for the game, likely in many cases referred to as a “gamemaster”. However a written rule which implies that one person at the table would build the scenario and referee while not participating in actual round to round play struck me as one of the possible paths which led to gamemaster(dungeon master) / player interaction in role-playing games. While I have played a few early wargames, my experience is not enough to know if this type of role is an anomaly or relatively common. I am particularly curious if a similar rule is mentioned in Chainmail.

Curt Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: