Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Recession?

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Recession?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Recession? Reply with quote

Usually I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the broad spectrum of news outlets always hawking and provoking with the threat of recession. But today I noticed something that was a bit alarming. Yes, I live in NYC and I believe the city tends to be a bit more insulated from some of the ups and downs of the greater American economy. Much of the city runs on global moneys moving into and out of the city with hands along the way taking a piece of it. Real estate and business has always found a way to keep from sinking too much, too quickly as examples.

But today, I was working in a building that has 150+ units. The building superintendent asked if I was busy to which I replied that I was. He said I was lucky and went on to tell me no one has gotten any work done in the building for 3 months. That I was the only company working in the building for any of the past 3 months. He went on to say that other companies were dropping their cards off at the front desk and his office to put themselves out for work. He is a bit older and admitted he hadn't ever seen anything like it. Not only are guys not working but apartments are not selling....which is often the motivating factor for getting work done.

It was stunning to me that building with that many units would sit stagnant for so long. People simply aren't moving their properties and are not spending. At least on a micro level this is the case. Canary in a coal mine has died in this building.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recession? I'd say yes. Writing off billions isn't good for stock values. But the more related issue is how the current economics affects our hobby. I've had some auctions up for the past couple of weeks and they're not doing too hot. I'm basically getting my money back with a little extra here and there. The number of bidders is way down. I just won three auctions from one our members and they should have went much higher, especially the Jordison stuff since they're obscure printings. I'll keep listing stuff for awhile because I need the shelf space, but now's the time to be buying because the competition is off. There's no question about it. Rares will still do ok, but that's a function of their collectibility.

. . . and as for building things, our town, Grand Junction, is one of the hottest real estate and construction markets in the country. Every contractor who's not in jail has a job. Trucking companies are offering signing bonuses just to get people in the door. We're also one of the top retirement and outdoor destinations in the country. The mountain bikers and climbers are all over here. The cost of living being so much less than metro locations coupled with the better wages has turned our town into a Mecca. It will level off eventually, obviously, but not anytime soon.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting to note the effect it will have on the hobby. I think the mini recession we experienced shortly after 2000ish didn't really touch the hobby at all. I think a deep recession or worse probably would a bit more with the more highly collectible items. Afterall, gaming is something that can pass quite a bit of time in an entertaining way should we find outselves scratching for cash.

What worries me about this downturn in the economy is that it is coming on during an election year. Usually there is lots more optimism with a new administration. Additionally, I don't think there is another example in history where war and recession/depression go hand and hand.

I continue to get lots of inquiries for additional work. So far, there isn't a letdown for me. I do remember coming out of college trying to make it as an artist during the very early 90s in the middle of our last substantial recession. That really sucked and forced me into the home improvement business to make the rent.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt that the current economy is affecting people. There is no choice between gas and a module, let's say. What people spend on collecting is disposable income and there will be less of that as things get tighter. In my opinion the worst thing to come out of this downturn are all of the foreclosures--people losing their homes. There have been a collector or two in our circle that have needed money to get a foothold or stay afloat and I've bought stuff from them at very good prices to help out. I really hope that no one we know loses their shirt or their job. The layoffs are already starting in the financial sector. That will domino throughout the rest of the economy. Those out there who have credit card debt should do everything they can to get that elephant paid off.

OolEurts
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad those Jordison games went to a good home, but was also surprised by the relatively low final bids. They sure had a lot of watchers and I thought they'd top $100 but I guess you never know... Wink
Perhaps all things LotR are also in decline with the movies becoming a distant memory.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they should have went for more. I'll shoot you a little more if you want. Wink I noticed that Frank's auctions awhile back weren't doing so hot either. That wargames set I picked up would have went for a lot more if people knew what was in there. Jon (increment) had some idea, I think, but he was the only one. It's got to be tough for those who depend on ebay for a little extra green. I guess ebay is changing their listing policies, so maybe that will stimulate things a bit.

beasterbrook
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
I guess ebay is changing their listing policies, so maybe that will stimulate things a bit.

I usually find most places change the way they charge to make more $$ at the end of the day, and by the looks at their new fee structure it looks like auction and store fees have increased 20%-67% with some minor decreases in basic fees. Sellers seem to be copping a reather large fee increase (for what exactly?) There are certainly some good points there from a buyers point of view, some of them prob long in comming if you ask me. I'd really like to see the weading out of all crappy buyers and sellers (esp pirates) but with an open door policy for who can sign up theat will be hard work. There are some thinks I like and dislike about the new system: I don't like the buyers can get only positive feedback, there will prob be some level of abuse for counting feedback from the same user by the looks, every item posted will be a Gallery item now (why not? its free) reserves will be used a lot less (fees are non-refundable if it doesn't sell).. but it looks better for buyers for sure... I must say I'm all for holding paypal money for certain products, those that have the highest percentage of fakes (DVD's etc)

Brette:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> OT Tavern All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: