Tome of Treasures :: View topic - The Designer's Ghost Tower on ebay

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

The Designer's Ghost Tower on ebay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep
View previous topic :: View next topic  

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: The Designer's Ghost Tower on ebay Reply with quote

I've been working with seller who will relist the item soon. He says that a third of it is 3-hole punched. It was like a dagger hearing that. Still, it should do pretty well, but not as well as it could have. I might put in a bid anyway, but still . . . He pulled his auction to relist the item separately with better pictures.

bombadil
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David mentioned he thought he saw holes in the original auction photo...no wonder he was so widely respected at what he used to do. Very Happy

bombadil
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kynan,
Any info on whether this is actually one of Allan Hammack's copies?

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the seller it is Allen Hammack's copy. I told him that he should try to get a letter from Mr. Hammack to that effect and add it to the auction. He's trying to piece the story together right now. Anyway, that makes this even with the holes a tier one collectible.

bombadil
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, gotta say, the more I hear from Eric (the seller), the more interesting this item becomes. Really fascinating history behind this one!

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this today:

"Thanks much. I may have another problem with this copy...seems 2 be missing pp.7-8 and appears that another page may be a copy."

I will probably bow out on this one if they don't turn up.

The good news about this copy is that it seems to have the extra photocopied pages, just like the DM's I have posted here:

http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=409

If true, that makes the DMs and DCs copies a different animal from the standard numbered 1-300 version. I'm still waiting on confirmation as to which pages have been copied.

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool, please keep us posted Very Happy
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

bombadil
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
I got this today:

"Thanks much. I may have another problem with this copy...seems 2 be missing pp.7-8 and appears that another page may be a copy."

Yes, I heard the same, but he also said he was going to go digging through the rest of the stuff he's got in his basement to see if he could find the page(s). Sounds like he received a whole box full of stuff...could be interesting.

bombadil
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
I'm still waiting on confirmation as to which pages have been copied.

The pics he sent show in the upper right hand corner of the cover: "CC: 7 to 11".

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't help that these 'deluxe' editions have extra copies of some of the pages. A person not schooled in the TSR toner marks characteristic of the period would be hard put to readily know which pages were from the printing and which were copied to be included for DMing purposes. Besides, if he has a 'box to go through' it could be some time before he can get sorted out.

What do you think "CC: 7 to 11" means?

bombadil
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking "carbon copy pages 7 to 11". Old typist's expression. Just a guess.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said that "The CC stands for Character Class 7-11 (level)."

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some of the pics:

Quote:
Only 2 pages are on paper that seems to be of a different weight pp23/24 and p.34. Aging on both is still consistent with other pages. Also have copies of all vis aids/maps that were copied and included. Maps/vis aids seem to be on the same paper stock as the rest of the majority of the mod. Also included shots of back cover and inner front cover and p.1.

In a normal example there are no toner lines or shadows appearing on pages 1-38 and H1-H5b. In the DMs edition those pages are the same. The extra copied pages in the DMs edition for running a campaign all have a small black toner bar on the bottom of the page (except the extras of the inside-the-cover map pages).

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
These are some of the pics:

Thanks; and for the ongoing discussions with the seller.
Almost seems like "too many" pics, but know why those were posted - hardly the same as whoever it was encouraged a previous eBay seller to post almost every single page of ST1 at high resolution on their auction. Laughing

Have rather stepped back on this one, since they already appear to be getting expert assistance and I'd already added my 02 cents on how to split up the sale.
Ironically, I was hunting this copy (or one of a small subgroup, since the total numbers still aren't confirmed 100%?) a few years ago after picking up a Tamo which was given to the vendor by Allen - he had moved away from the area and what looked like a promising trail went cold. Good to see the sale and that this one didn't just bite the dust somewhere down the years.

tfm wrote:
David mentioned he thought he saw holes in the original auction photo...

Looked like from here, anyhow. Eagle eyes, huh? *jk* Wink
Nowadays a copy of Auction Sieve (or whatever Nev's product is called) and 24x7 'net access seems to beat that hands-down, even when on form, to be honest. :)

d.

Last edited by harami on Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

dnddude
Student
Student

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Ghost Tower Reply with quote

Uhhh....Hi my name is Eric and I am a recovering D&D junkie.......

No, really...I just spoke with Allen Hammack and here are some tidbits:

Q: How many DC of GToI were made?
A.H. :"Well that is variable, 2-3 definitely, possibly 4.....there is the possibility that the publisher could have kept 1-2 additional copies but doubtful. So say 3 but no more than 4 in circulation."

Q: Did you retain any DC copy of GToI for your personal use?
A.H.: "Yes....I , of course, kept my original manuscript which I auctioned off not too long ago. I also had another which I sold to either (name) or (name)."

Q: Where did this sale of the DC copy take place?
A.H.: "I am certain that it was sold in the store ( Lion & Unicorn ). We
(my wife and I) owned and operated L&U from 1984-1992."

Q: Was GToI ever played/ran at L&U? And was a DC used?
A.H.: " I am sure that Ghost Tower was played at the store, I didn't personally do so that I can recall but I am sure the game was played there. It is possible that a DC was used to run the game and certainly probable."

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hello again Eric! Thanks for posting. Now you can answer questions directly. Don't worry. Everyone here will treat you well. The Tome has a pledge against malicious or mean-spirited posting.

dnddude
Student
Student

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much!
Things just get better and better with this...I am going to be able to link this copy to another author/designer of a TSR mod! and I am personally connected with that mod in a very interesting manner!
Even with the damage I think any collector would be ecstatic to own this copy. The history on this will be thoroughly documented and the links and ties to other TSR products will be unimpeachable! So, pay off the cc's, sell the house, sell the wife, sell the kids, uhhhh......keep the dog, a man has got to draw the line somewhere! And ask questions....some I will happily answer, some I'll use as teasers to draw more interest.
Thanks for all of the help/advice/effort from everyone thie isn't over yet so let's keep this going and interest high!
E Dancing
[/i]

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric and welcome!

Could someone bring me up to speed on this? Wasn't this just a single item within a lot of items? This almost fell under the radar.

I wouldn't hold back any information, Eric. This item is a piece of history and any info you can provide sooner than later will only help to improve the collectibility of the item. I would think that Allen's personal copy of this uber collectible would have to trump condition. You will never find a better copy of something so unique and significant. Please don't hesitate to link directly to this thread from inside the auction description. Hopefully, it will help generate interest by clarifying the information in discussion.

Additionally, I would recommend not using so many acronyms and intialisms. I know time is valuable for us online but some of the audience won't be able to keep up with some of the information if they don't understand it. (me Embarassed )

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scribe wrote:
This almost fell under the radar.

...not. Wink
The mod was clearly listed as the limited edition in the original auction description.

dnddude wrote:
some I'll use as teasers to draw more interest.

Probably best not to "tease" potential buyers too much, IMO. Some people get really riled about that given past experiences.
Thanks for the additional information, Eric.
re. "A.H. :"Well that is variable, 2-3 definitely, possibly 4.....there is the possibility that the publisher could have kept 1-2 additional copies but doubtful. So say 3 but no more than 4 in circulation."". I presume this overrides the previous quote of "6?".

Cheers,
David.

dnddude
Student
Student

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "tease" I mean that I will only provide the information I can document. For instance, the linking of this copy of Ghost Tower to another TSR author/designer. This is 1st hand.

I am hoping the "tease" will generate interest and questions that, IMHO, is how to pass on this knowledge. If I give out too much info immediately I fear that some questions will not be raised. I am hoping to bring a number of questions to the table when Allen and I meet. Does that make sense?

In regards to "6" I got this number from someone other than Allen but who also knew/knows Allen. I have to assume that this person believed that the publisher may have retained additional copies of Ghost Tower and so passed on that there may be as many as "6". I have no way to confirm this as I am not in contact with the publisher and especially given the passage of 30 years +/- it is doubtful that the publisher would even know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: