Tome of Treasures :: View topic - IFW periodicals during the 1960's

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

IFW periodicals during the 1960's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> International Federation of Wargaming (IFW) -> International Wargamer 1960's (IFW)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: IFW periodicals during the 1960's Reply with quote

Well Gents, I am looking for some entries in this research area to help fill it out the 1960s run of IFW periodicals. I would like to go ahead and enter all of these issues in the html archive area once complete. So for now, I have some obvious missing entries and a couple of open areas that need to be addressed at some point to complete the archive. Issues I am looking for below have been provided via information taken from Scott Duncan's A History of the IFW in the June 1969 IFW issue. Please take a look at the article synopsis in scribe's musings.

List of issues needed.....

Spartan issues 1-12? 1966-67....technically these were produced by the USCAC which switched names as an organization to the IFW in 1967. Alas, we have none for the archive now and I am betting these are more than a little tough to find existing. See Duncan's IFW History article synopsis above for a 'rough' issue tally.

The Spartan Vol.1 No2

The Spartan Vol.1 No4?

Any other The Spartans leading up to IFW Monthly Vol 2 No 1 featured now in the research forum? I am sure these would provide clues on why the club's newsletter abruptly dropped The Spartan as the name of the newsletter.

Summer compilation of International Wargamer similar to Jan-Mar & Mar-June Issues? Not likely this would exist as the monthly was renamed International Wargamer for the August '69 issue.

increment
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the later publications of 1968, there are plenty of advertisements for back issues from earlier in the year which attest to the existence of 8 total issues of the monthly in Volume 1, labeled #1 through #8. Note that Scott Duncan's article in v2n6 specifically mentioned Vol.1 #2 as a March 1968 publication.

Naming of these issues is irregular. Vol.1 #6 is named The Cardboard Commander, Vol.1 #7 is completely untitled, and Vol.1 #8 returns to the title The Spartan (though it contains much debate about naming). Presumably #2 is known as The Spartan. Naming of Vol.1 #4 and #5 is currently unknown, but until we learn otherwise I'd imagine they shared that name.

I have also seen some evidence of the existence of a single issue of the International Wargamer (the quarterly, that is) published in 1968. It apparently designated as "#6" (see the "Common Market" in IFW Monthly v2n2).

I can say little more about Spartan Vol.0 (my proposed designation for the 1966-1967 publications) than your note on v2n6 does. From that article, we can deduce the existence of six 1966 issues (#1 March, #2 April, #3 June, #4 September, #5 October, #6 December) and at least two in 1967 (one probably in January or February, another in April) before the disaster at Malvern shut down publication.

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Domesday book mentions a publication called "The Messenger": do we have any additional information about that?

Some info on the Acaeum @ http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3404 and http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=573
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> International Wargamer 1960's (IFW) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: