Tome of Treasures :: View topic - query about new auction posting guidelines

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

query about new auction posting guidelines

View previous topic :: View next topic  

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: query about new auction posting guidelines Reply with quote

In the Gems threads, scribe wrote:

Quote:

As a matter of good form, we ask that contributors be fair-minded in selecting items with normal exposure in open auction or at the very least include some notation on what might have skewed the value to some degree. We also ask that visitor contributors refrain from posting auctions that they themselves were involved in as either buyer or seller for the purpose of transparency and integrity of the data presented.

Why have folks not be allowed to post auctions they were involved with? Since the posts/links are transparent, I don't see how this compromises the site's data, personally. It's entirely possible that someone may snag a good deal/great rarity/etc. that has gone completely under the collector radar, but still want to share the info/details.

Please advise why this is bad Very Happy
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would be more appropriate that in the case where the user is a buyer or seller of the item, that they include this as a small note instead.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the question, Allan. The ToT Auction Data Forum is something that I have pondered for quite a long time. In fact, probably a bit too long as I should have had the guidelines in place before going public. The details I posted up yesterday aren't a response to anything that has been posted to date, so I don't want anyone to feel the least bit uncomfortable with their efforts so far.

The question is how do we go about gathering data as a community in the most transparent way possible that won't suggest any sort of vested interest either intended or not? Personally, I don't think there is a perfect way. Just an acknowledgment that we are sensitive to concerns is what I am aiming for.

What makes me uncomfortable about this policy I set forth, is guys will often place bids on items to keep them on a watch list with no intention of winning the item. It would be a shame to lose that data if no one else is inclined to add it to the list. As a policy, I will probably try to find a way to re-word it so that it isn't so black and white. Perhaps something that should remain in spirit without enforcement. Not sure if this makes sense, but I hope it helps to understand the reasoning.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, Allan, the Tome had a rigorous discussion about valuations before going public. I didn't want any record whatsoever as I think that $$$ clouds judgment and interferes with the core purpose of these materials--having fun. Any declared valuations are also subject to abuse by other people, especially if they are low or out of step with current trends. We ended up with the current method you see before you--a record of factual information. As a group we're sensitive to potential abuses regarding valuation, so we're taking the issue very seriously. For some items in the archives, there are estimated values simply because the data pool is so small and antiquated. But that's as far as we're willing to go at this point. If there is a demand for some other valuation mechanism, such as an easy-to-read digest of historically recorded values, then some other value interface may be made available in the future.

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys. Your collective thinking sounds sound to me, I just thought that not allowing folks to post auctions that they participated in as a seller/buyer was a bit odd.

In your auction discussions, did you give any thought to how a lot would break out, in terms of valuing items---or, would you only post sales for single-item lots? (I was going to post my recent win on an Ardor/Umbar/other stuff lot, when I read the new posting guidelines, which is what prompted my query).
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did talk about it a little and favored single item auctions only, meaning either one item for sale or one important item for sale in a lot. If, for example, a Planescape Sketchbook was listed with The Art of D&D and The Art of AD&D, people would be bidding for the Sketchbook.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the theory for those types of auctions is that the common items become packing materials. Wink I think a somewhat clear description of auction conditions regarding the lot would be appropriate. I wouldn't try to enter the data unless that items is of the Very Rarist existence. The data would be difficult to use if there were a handful of Uncommon/Rare items pressing the auction result.

This is a good point. I will amend the auction guidelines to reflect thoughts on lots. Any other recommendations/suggestions are welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Town Crier All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: