Tome of Treasures :: View topic - International Wargamer, vol. 4 no. 5 (May 1971)

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

International Wargamer, vol. 4 no. 5 (May 1971)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> International Federation of Wargaming (IFW) -> International Wargamer 1970's (IFW)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: International Wargamer, vol. 4 no. 5 (May 1971) Reply with quote

Title: International Wargamer, vol. 4 no. 5, May 1971
Type: Wargaming Club zine
Copyright: By the International Federation of Wargaming, May 1971
Managing Editor-in-Chief: John Bobek
Consulting Editors: Don Featherstone, Gary Gygax, Lenard Lakofka, Thomas Shaw, Richard Warnick
Contributing Editors: David Arneson, Edi Birsan, Kenneth Burke, Mike Conlon, Peter J. Danner, Stuart Gilbert, Harry Hollern, Arnold Hendrick, Mark S. Irwin, Sid Jolly, Paul Jameson, Henry Krigsman, Donald Lowry, John Lundstrom, Alister William Macintyre, Patrick Mayernik, Tony Morale, Carl Mueller, George Phillies, Michael Reese, Pat Romane, Jay Richardson, Rod Walker, Richard Warnick, Tom Webster, Lou Zocchi
Columnists: Larry Albert, Tyrone Bomba, Gary Gygax, Lenard Lakofka, James Lurvey, Robert Mijanovich, J.E. Pournelle PhD, Stephen A. Thomas, Leon Tucker
Advertising Sales Director: Kevin Knudson
Art Editor: Donald Lowry
Illustrations: Donald Lowry (cover), John Bobek, Peter Danner, Stuart Gilbert, Carl Mueller, Mike Reese
Photographer: Richard Warnick
Associate Editors: George Phillies, Gerald White, Aaron Grossbaum, Chuck O'Drobinak, Lenard Lakofka, Kevin Slimak, Richard Warnick
Assistant Editors: Dale Bley, Jack Van Schaik, Jim Grant, Jay Richardson, Mike Larson, Jon Pickens, Bill Speer, Tim Tilson, Ray Woloszyn
Production & Publication Editor: Lenard Lakofka
Distribution Staff: Mark Nyderek, Tony Adams, Lenard Lakofka, Kevin Knudson, John Bobek, LeRoy Wallin, Harry Graves
Place of Publication: Evansville, Indiana
Printer: Lowry's Hobbies
Cover Price: $.75
Mass: 36g
Dimensions: Height 28cm, Width 21.6cm, Depth .2cm
Format: Full sized, Light cardstock cover (light beige), 16 pages including covers printed front and back, 3 staples.

Contents:
WATERLOO: Strategic Napoleonic Warfare. by Gary Gygax
DESIGNING MINIATURES SIMULATIONS. by Arnold J. Hendrick
REALM of the INCAS (part IV). by John Lundstrom
SEIZING the INITIATIVE in BULGE. by Don Lowry
A BRIEF HISTORY of the SURFACE WARSHIP (pat II), The Sense of the Sail. by Carl E. Mueller
DIPOLOMACY FORUM: Miscellaneous Tactics in Advanced Play. by Lenard Lakofka
DESIGN FORUM, Naval Warfare. by Larry Albert
ACHTUNG! MINEN! by Robert Mijanovich
I.W. REVIEW: Tac 14. by Jay Richardson

Advertisements of interest:
WARGAMER'S NEWSLETTER (Monthly magazine subscription ad devoted to wargaming with contact of Donald Featherstone in England)
THE COURIER (wargaming magazine subscription offer touted in this issue as "America's Newest Miniature Wargaming Magazine" )
AFV-G2 (Monthly magazine subsciption offer for Armour buffs. Contacts in California and Great Britian)
Nathan R. Preston & Co (models for sale with contact in West Germany)

Rear cover:

=====================================

Scribe's Musings:

I have been working backwards through nearly two years worth of IWs in the research forums. Of anyone in the credits who is listed regularly, one Donald Featherstone has yet to contribute anything that can be visibly detectable to a casual magazine viewer.

Last edited by scribe on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scribe wrote:
Of anyone in the credits who is listed regularly, one Donald Featherstone has yet to contribute anything that can be visibly detectable to a casual magazine viewer.

Well, he is doing other things. I have most of the Wargamer's Newsletters. One of these days I'll post them.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not up to snuff on all of the wargaming big guns, but I think I understand Donald Featherstone to be sort of one of the early and prolific ones in the hobby. I am wondering if they kept him on as a consulting editor for other reasons than direct contributions to IW. Of course, I have no idea and I want to be sure as to not appear as if I am writing history. Simply pointing out something curious.

increment
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the technicality that lets them list Don Featherstone as an "editor" is the editorial reprinted from WGN reprinted in IW vol 3. no 10 ("Universal Miniatures Rules", the one that speaks so harshly about fantasy wargaming).

In actuality, Don Featherstone was totally unaware that he was an editor of the IW. In Wargamer's Newsletter #112 (July 1971), upon receipt of a few issues of the IW from Gygax, Featherstone comments, "I see I am given as a Consulting Editor to this magazine - and I knew nothing about it!"

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

increment wrote:
I think the technicality that lets them list Don Featherstone as an "editor" is the editorial reprinted from WGN reprinted in IW vol 3. no 10 ("Universal Miniatures Rules", the one that speaks so harshly about fantasy wargaming).

In actuality, Don Featherstone was totally unaware that he was an editor of the IW. In Wargamer's Newsletter #112 (July 1971), upon receipt of a few issues of the IW from Gygax, Featherstone comments, "I see I am given as a Consulting Editor to this magazine - and I knew nothing about it!"

Interesting! But his WARGAMERS NEWSLETTER has been advertising in the IW as early as Nov. 70.

shrug

increment
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

November of 1970 is the issue after the one where that reprinted editorial appears, yes. I don't mean to suggest that Featherstone was unaware of the IW entirely before July of 1971 (and neither does he, in the quote). I think he means he was unaware that he was deemed a "Consulting Editor". The title of editor, one must concede, was applied most liberally to anyone with a tangential connection to the production of the IW.

Presumably Bobek did get Featherstone's permission to reprint that editorial in the IW; that must have been when contact was made. It was the next issue that started claiming Featherstone was a Consulting Editor. "Well, um, if we print an editorial by you, that means you must be an editor, right?"

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I get it. I believe the word is 'gravitas.'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> International Wargamer 1970's (IFW) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: