Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Looking for OD&D advice

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Looking for OD&D advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep
View previous topic :: View next topic  

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling this might be a unique UK printing as suggested by Paul. I don't see why they would use a different material in the US just to ship to the UK. The presence of the UK generated leaflet doesn't prove anything, but is some supporting evidence. I am not convinced this would drive the value of the item, but it should spark curiosity amongst those who collect OD&D printings.

Zenopus
Student
Student

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that grodog and I have located a U.S. reprint of this 'article'. I'm going to provide a few quotes from the Acaeum.

grodog wrote:
...what I have is undated and is clearly marked as "Reprinted by permission of Games & Puzzles, (c) Edu-Games UK Ltd 1976. (Ed Note: PCC is happy to recommend Games & Puzzles to our readers)." It's also four pages long, printed on newspaper formatted to a weekend magazine insert size, and is clearly torn from the mag, since there are remnants of another page there (which doesn't apppear to contain D&D game info on it); the pages represented/pulled from PCC are 19-22 inclusive. The article also appears to be in American vs. UK English. I have no idea what PCC stands for, but it seems to account for another, local-US instance of this ad/article, at least.

I'll post a scan sometime later, after I return from CA.

zhowar wrote:
People's Computer Company?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Computer_Company

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/newsletters/peoples-computer/index .html

The second site is linked from the wikipedia page. It has covers scans (and some articles) from their newsletter, which looks like a newspaper in some editions. If you click on the Nov-Dec 1978, there's a scanned 3-page article on Runequest.

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/newsletters/peoples-computer/peoples-1978-nov-dec/runequest.html

....Continuing the search...I think this is it:

http://www.svipx.com/pcc/gameslist.html

Quote:

V5N2 September 1976

* P. 02 Star Trek (six pages of stuff sent by readers, edited by Mellow Flash)
* P. 08 But It's Fun, But It's Educational: Computer Games in the Classroom by Joanne Koltnow Verplank
* P. 16 PLANETS by Mac Oglesby. BASIC listing and sample run.
* P. 18 Journey to the Center of the Earth by Andrew A. Aronson. BASIC listing and sample run.
* P. 20 Dungeons & Dragons by Steve Jackson. Description, information, ...
* P. 30 Crossword Puzzle by Frank Armbruster
* P. 31 Hats by Frank Armbruster. BASIC listing and sample run.

This is from an index Bob Albrecht (PCC founder) created with the gaming contents of the early PCC issues. Other issues of possible interest to D&D/RPG collectors:

Quote:

V4N4 January 1976
* P. 25 Flying Buffalo by Rick Loomis. Descriptions of play-by-mail games and tabletop games such as Dungeons & Dragons

V4N5 March-April 1976
* P. 11 Good Gaming. Descriptions of role-playing and board games: Dungeons & Dragons, Tunnels & Trolls, Stellar Conquest, and Empire of the Petal Throne

This page on the same site has similar information, plus discussing Dave Arneson:

http://www.svipx.com/pcc/links.html

Quote:

The dragon notes: My good friend Dave Arneson is the creator of Dungeons & Dragons. Check out his web site: The world of Blackmoor & Dave Arneson creator of D&D, http://castleblackmoor.com/

Also of interest:
"Good Gaming!," a survey article about role-playing games, including D&D, appeared in PCC V4N5 Mar-Apr 1976. The 3-page article "Dungeons & Dragons" by Steve Jackson was reprinted by permission in PCC V5N2 Sep-Oct 1976.

The last time I talked to Dave, he was teaching computer game design in...

Amazing what's out there on the internet, just waiting to be found...in a perfect world, an index of every periodical ever published would be posted somewhere on the web.

grodog wrote:
I think that you've found the source since one of the pages has what looks like an old (Basic?) computer program on it, too! Excellent sleuthing!

These quotes are from page 4 of the Early TSR/D&D Advertisements & Catalogs thread. They are already getting buried by later posts, so I thought it would be useful to post them here.

My first post here. I've been checking in here occasionally since last summer; just created an account for the first time. To all involved in the site - great job.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome zhowar.

ShaneG.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Welcome!

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey zhowar good to see you here.

The PCC magazines look really familiar, I might have a few kicking around from my retro computing collecting days. I'll have to do some digging.

Chromatic-Knight
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Zhowar. Great info.

Mike

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thar she blows"

The article that features the dungeon "The Dungeons of the Ground Goblins" is by Steve Jackson of Games Workshop. What scribe posted above is a copy (sans page #s and art) of page 9.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. I'll have to dig that back out of the pile soon and make a RF entry for that item with your additional information. Neat stuff!

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can send you a copy of the full article.

btw, check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200226802562&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

If you have any more G&P questions, let me know.

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
If you have any more G&P questions, let me know.

Nice pickup, I plan on searching some UK bookstores when I get to Edinburgh in October.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nice pickup, I plan on searching some UK bookstores when I get to Edinburgh in October.

Thanks. I was doing cartwheels when that auction ended at that price. I've been looking for P&G for years. I'm kind of an Anglophile anyway. One of the grad students I went to school with was from Manchester. She was great.

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to scanning this again, but it looks like there's no need to post the whole article now. Sorry for the delay Embarassed
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Zenopus
Student
Student

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grodog, I'd actually still like to see the rest of the 'sample adventure'. The dungeon part is complete, but the descriptive text is cut-off halfway.

I posted a partial transcription in the OD&D forum on Dragonsfoot a while back, in case any one wanted to use the dungeon (the scans on the previous page being a bit hard to read):
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25633

Also, grodog you might want to post your scan when they set up the page for this item, since yours is a copy of the third "print".

1st: GAMES & PUZZLES, No. 48, May 1976 (UK magazine)

2nd: "VISIT A WORLD OF SWORDS & SORCERY With DUNGEONS & DRAGONS", Games Workshop promotional flier (has been found in OD&D boxes in the UK)

3rd: PEOPLE'S COMPUTERS, V5N2, September 1976 (US magazine)

Comparing the scans of #1 & #2, they replaced the small art in #1 with the cover illos from U&WA and Greyhawk. grodog, what art does your reprint have?

(My 2nd post here! Thanks to all who welcomed me above)

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an index to Games & Puzzles magazine here:

http://www.ericsolomon.co.uk/gpindex-r.html

It lists issues #39, 48, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 62, and 75 as having D&D content. If you get a chance, could you let us know what is in the other issues aside from 48.

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhowar wrote:
grodog, I'd actually still like to see the rest of the 'sample adventure'. The dungeon part is complete, but the descriptive text is cut-off halfway.

OK, Zach, the scan's now posted to http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/temp/games_puzzles_reprint.pdf

zhowar wrote:
Also, grodog you might want to post your scan when they set up the page for this item, since yours is a copy of the third "print".

2nd: "VISIT A WORLD OF SWORDS & SORCERY With DUNGEONS & DRAGONS", Games Workshop promotional flier (has been found in OD&D boxes in the UK)

Interesting that reprints were so much more common back then, vs. the past several years (or even the past decade or two).

zhowar wrote:
Comparing the scans of #1 & #2, they replaced the small art in #1 with the cover illos from U&WA and Greyhawk. grodog, what art does your reprint have?

Not much: basically mostly-filler pieces, though the giant fish looks familiar (perhaps it's from the MM?). Certainly no cover shots from the supplements/etc.

edit - fixed Zach's name (I was mixing him up with Xaxae/Duke last night).
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/

Last edited by grodog on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhowar wrote:

2nd; the GW info sheet was made for Games Day 2 (Feb 12, '77) afaik and even if before then, not by much (just missing one newsletter to cross-check).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: