Tome of Treasures :: View topic - The Rarest of the Rares?

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

The Rarest of the Rares?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Badmike
Student
Student

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topics of ultra rares...hell, uniques...

I have two items that I believe may be the only copies around. Both have been on my ebay watch list for almost ten years...nothing.

One is a small fanzine called "El Conquistador", Vo 2 #2 issued in 1975. I found a stash of these many years ago. It is a Diplomacy fanzine for players in the northeast, in booklet form, subscription only. It's claim to fame is a EGG Castle Greyhawk short story (Expedition to the Black Reservoir), which has never been printed elsewhere (and which EGG had forgotten about completely until I emailed him about it). I've reproduced the text of the story for others (Grodog I know has a copy), and it's a pretty cool historical artifact. That same issue of El Conquistador also has a two page Gen Con ad and a short essay Swords & Sorcery Wargaming, by EGG (as well as a review of ODD boxed set by the editor of El Conquistador). If anyone is interested I can try to send in a scan of this issue (I had a small run of this fanzine, and this was the only issue of any historical import, it seemed to me).
Gary Gygax said he had a copy at one time that he sent to WOTC many years ago when he gave them a bunch of stuff for transcribing. That is the only other copy I've ever heard of, from anyone, ever.

Another curio is the "The Tabletop Warriors Fantasy Adventures" booklet, which was issues out of Houston Texas in 1984 and was a local publication. There is an entire thread on this one at the Aceaum, including many scans. Of note is the artwork by Darla Hallmark, now a professional fetish artist, and the load of great generic FRP material (over 100 pages) with an OD&D feel. Never found another copy, or the orginal author(s), and Darla never returned an email I sent her inquiring about the item. Too bad, I would like to know if they ever issued the proposed sequel/follow up.

Mike B

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grodog wrote:
Interestingly, however, on of the PCs one of my brothers ran was named Frohf, so I'll have to see if he was aware of the zine or not, since it looks phonetically similar!

Unrelated/coincidental, after checking.
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badmike wrote:
One is a small fanzine called "El Conquistador", Vo 2 #2 issued in 1975.

Since you posted that, Mike, I've seen at least two or perhaps three show up on eBay, but that's about it. It's pretty rare. Paul has at least two copies, IIRC, too.

Badmike wrote:
I found a stash of these many years ago. It is a Diplomacy fanzine for players in the northeast, in booklet form, subscription only. It's claim to fame is a EGG Castle Greyhawk short story (Expedition to the Black Reservoir), which has never been printed elsewhere (and which EGG had forgotten about completely until I emailed him about it). I've reproduced the text of the story for others (Grodog I know has a copy),

You can read the story on my site @ http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_castle_black_reservoir1.html if you're interested (hosted with Gary's permission).

Badmike wrote:
If anyone is interested I can try to send in a scan of this issue (I had a small run of this fanzine, and this was the only issue of any historical import, it seemed to me).

Hell yes!
grodog@gmail.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add these titles to the Research Forums. Who is the publisher for the Tabletop Warriors book?

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great first post, Mike! Welcome to the forums.

Badmike
Student
Student

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grodog wrote:
Badmike wrote:
One is a small fanzine called "El Conquistador", Vo 2 #2 issued in 1975.

Since you posted that, Mike, I've seen at least two or perhaps three show up on eBay, but that's about it. It's pretty rare. Paul has at least two copies, IIRC, too.

Badmike wrote:
I found a stash of these many years ago. It is a Diplomacy fanzine for players in the northeast, in booklet form, subscription only. It's claim to fame is a EGG Castle Greyhawk short story (Expedition to the Black Reservoir), which has never been printed elsewhere (and which EGG had forgotten about completely until I emailed him about it). I've reproduced the text of the story for others (Grodog I know has a copy),

You can read the story on my site @ http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_castle_black_reservoir1.html if you're interested (hosted with Gary's permission).

Badmike wrote:
If anyone is interested I can try to send in a scan of this issue (I had a small run of this fanzine, and this was the only issue of any historical import, it seemed to me).

Hell yes!

Gro;

Does Paul have that particular issue? Or just a random issue? IIRC, the fanzine lasted a few years. At one time I sold all the other issues I had snce there was nothing of the level of the EGG story in them. Nevertheless, they are rarer than hen's teeth.

I'll try to get scans of this up on photobucket, then post here. Take a moment to go to Grodogs site, btw...the story is well worth reading, and is an actual STORY and not just a dry recitation of a party's adventures in Castle Greyhawk. Very historical!

Mike B.

Badmike
Student
Student

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
I'll add these titles to the Research Forums. Who is the publisher for the Tabletop Warriors book?

Publisher is U2 Adventures out of Longview Tx (a small town East of Dallas). It looks self published. Below are some selected scans (sorry if I wasn't supposed to post them here, I didn't want to start a separate thread):

Front Cover:

Back Cover:

Table of Contents:

Darla Hallmark interior artwork:

I can supply more information if needed...

Mike B.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! And wonderful material. I've added the titles to the Research Forums. El C. is under Fanzines while U2 A. can be found in the RPG section. Please visit the guidelines for posting to the Research Forums here: http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641

Please feel free to ask any questions you like. If there's a company you're interested in researching, please let us know and we'll add it right away.

beasterbrook
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars wrote:
scribe wrote:
Also, one of people associated with Tri Tac Games is still kicking about. I should try to look him up again to see if knows anything about those mods.

I talked to a couple of Tri Tac people not too long ago. Rich Tucholka actually had a heart attack earlier this year. I asked him about these tournies late last year but he didn't have any around. I have "You Gotta Have Bart" and I think McDuff has "Krish Home" and "Gem Sword" and maybe "Tarot Quest". There are a couple more that I can't remember off the top of my head. A fanzine that ran for over 100 issues called Dark Times was also produced but I have never seen any issues.

Tarot Quest has an official count of 10 issues I belive (with my small chat witth Rich. I think he has 1 left but won't sell the thing as far as I know. I'm sure he has a fair bit in storage that he sells a bit from. Oficially I have 1 copy with one on the way...

Brette:)

beasterbrook
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bombadil wrote:
harami wrote:
Eh... re. the question in general: TSR & associated, non-TSR D&D, any RPG, related 'zines?

Nice to see you here, David. Very Happy

And as long as we're going to include fanzines, I'd have to nominate Lords of Chaos #1. I've only seen one copy, the one I sold to Kynan a while back. What was the print run on that? Sixty?

I have an issue #1 as well...

beasterbrook
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars wrote:
While we are talking fanzines, has anyone seen a copy of Abyss #1 (or #1, 2, 3 for that matter)? There are so many fanzines that seem to have published many issues but are ridiculously hard to find. I'm also still trying to track down the first few issues of First Encounter for my Canadian collection.

A nice minty #1 sold not too long ago on ebay...

Chromatic-Knight
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the blue Holmes basic book Australian print? I only know of 4 of these. Two with cover sheets two without.

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chromatic-Knight wrote:
How about the blue Holmes basic book Australian print? I only know of 4 of these. Two with cover sheets two without.

Same tally here (I think... although I'm trying to convince myself that ain't 5...) but I thought John Huckerby only had the Dungeon Module Pack "cover sheet", thus I'd made that 3(/4) without and 1 with.

The Ozzie Gs and Ds ain't that much more common, to be honest. Those in shrink might slink into the OPs "hardest to find" category, I guess?

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beasterbrook wrote:

A #1 Abyss or First Encounter? Do you have a link? In any case, clearly my search bots are slacking.

beasterbrook
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars wrote:
beasterbrook wrote:

A #1 Abyss or First Encounter? Do you have a link? In any case, clearly my search bots are slacking.

The Abyss #1.. It wasn't listed in RPG section. Some guy had a whole heap of fantasy zines up, but that was the only rpg one from memory the rest were the short story type... I belive it went for $80us odd dollars.. It may be too old to search on ebay now...but it wasn't too long ago.. I'll see if I can track it down

edit: Ok found it... hmm looks like it may have been a story trpe mag. Here's the link..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320117524601

Chromatic-Knight
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Same tally here (I think... although I'm trying to convince myself that ain't 5...) but I thought John Huckerby only had the Dungeon Module Pack "cover sheet", thus I'd made that 3(/4) without and 1 with.

The Ozzie Gs and Ds ain't that much more common, to be honest. Those in shrink might slink into the OPs "hardest to find" category, I guess?

I have seen two with the cover sheet. I dont believe Johns has one.

I would agree on the Oz Gs and Ds also.

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I have seen two with the cover sheet. I dont believe Johns has one.

Cool: might be 5 in that case. I presume you're counting the one here?

> I would agree on the Oz Gs and Ds also.

As far as I know no D2 in shrink has been discovered thus far... fwiw!

Chromatic-Knight
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I presume you're counting the one here?

Yep, I included one for you in my count.

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyondthebreach wrote:
How about a 1st edition Tunnels & Trolls with the Unicorn Cover (1975)?

Ken St. Andre has a nice picture of this up on his website too - he also has some other interesting scans too of some early edition stuff:

http://www.geocities.com/ken_st_andre/

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grodog wrote:
scribe wrote:
Anyone with a definitive CoC list of ultra rares?

Many of Pagan Publishing's earliest books had 100-300 copy print runs, to be sold at, and after, GenCon. See yog-sothoth.com for details.

Here's a pre-Pagan-published Pagan book, Tales of Terror by Steve Hatherly:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tales-of-Terror-Short-Scenarios-for-Call-of-Cthulhu_W0QQitemZ180166375027
I've seen a few of these sell over the years, and I think this one went cheaply.
grodog@gmail.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: