Tome of Treasures :: View topic - This city....

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

This city....

View previous topic :: View next topic  

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: This city.... Reply with quote

is literally hanging by a thread functionally. Throw in a single rain storm lasting an hour or so and practically the whole city collapses! It took forever to get around today. Some days it is better to just stay home if I could only tell the future. Laughing

An f2 tornado was confirmed in Brooklyn, which is a pretty incredible event. But not enough to shut the city down. 3 inches of rain in an hour right before rush hour traffic will and did.

f2 news... http://wcbstv.com/seenon/local_story_220172727.html

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading in the German media about it. They said the subway tunnels were too old and too much water inside so the metro couldn't drive. They also said many cars were damaged in Brooklyn. Hopefully not the scribe's vehicle?

Heavy rainfall over here, too, with roads closed, basements full of water etc. We've had 30°+ Celsius and blue sky all April and July/August all rainy and cloudy. The summer used to be different. Climate is changing. What have we done to this planet we are living on?
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralf wrote:
What have we done to this planet we are living on?

Who can say? Is the world getting warmer? Yes. Are we causing it? Probably. Can we do anything about it? Definitely. Do politicians suck ass? Absolutely. We should try to reduce greenhouse gases whether they're responsible for global warming or not. Otherwise, the coastines of the world will change significantly. The highest point in Florida is 300 feet above sea level. Even more important, however, is the ozone layer. That has to be repaired or the game is over. UV rays alter life systems. The last thing I remember reading is UV affects on amphibians. Apparently, they're more sensitive to it. They're mutating in much higher numbers now. I imagine the food belt will shift towards Canada in the coming centuries. The US has had the world by the nads through the use of food for decades. It would be interesting to watch what would happen when the State Department looses that card.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralf Toth wrote:
I've been reading in the German media about it. They said the subway tunnels were too old and too much water inside so the metro couldn't drive. They also said many cars were damaged in Brooklyn. Hopefully not the scribe's vehicle?

My van took a pounding this weekend from the deer. It doesn't matter so much as long as it drives, it is a work van. Cool But alas, I was quite a ways away from that scene. All of NYC is huge and that tornado was only in a couple of tiny areas in Brooklyn and Queens.

The subway issue was a huge problem. But today, I am sure the balance will be restored and the thread by which this city hangs will have been reconnected. It just amazes me how fragile that balance is.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The land value thing is very interesting in Manhattan. I was reading where parking spaces were going for six figures. In 50-100 years they might be underwater. It could become the new Venice.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We currently rent in the city. Where we would like to buy into a coop they have some parking spaces included with the apartment. If not, it could take 20-30k to get a parking space. The good news is the spaces can be resold for at least what we paid and there is no chance this area will be underwater. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> OT Tavern All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: