Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Monstrous Compendium VOLUME ONE (1989)

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Monstrous Compendium VOLUME ONE (1989)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> AD&D -> Advanced D&D 2e Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Monstrous Compendium VOLUME ONE (1989) Reply with quote

Posted this on the Acaeum..so reposting here:

MC1 - 1st - Angled TSR logo, 3-hole punched, 72 sheets, 8 Dividers (still need to confirm this #, but I think I'm right here - these are 5-hole punched), Vampire page has a corrected sheet pasted on back, but looks like behind it was the exact info as front but eastern Vampire picture in the top right place, sheets are perforated along side with holes with some still having the rest of the paper attached and thus slightly wider.

MC1 - 2nd - Angled TSR logo, 5-hole punched, 73 sheets (on one side it Instructions for Blank Monster sheet, other side blank), 8 Dividers, Vampire page fixed, sheets are perforated along side with holes with many perforated lines running through the holes (though edges seem cut better now).

MC1 - 3rd - Angled TSR logo, 5-hole punched, 72 sheets, 8 Dividers, No perforated pages.

MC1 - 4th - Gold Angled TSR logo, 5-hole punched, Copyright date on each page (1989)... (rest as 3rd)

Course I'm hoping others can confirm the various differences.

Also might I suggest the 72/73 sheets rather then 144 pages for the format since this is not bound.

ShaneG.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the size, but even changing the size and uploading again in photo bucket keeps it large like this... Mad

ShaneG.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size is OK, thanks for the post. I will update the Archive page later and check my own copy again.

Please keep on posting print runs for 2nd Edition! If you have different printings of the core rule books (there are a lot), please post them.

BTW, this one ist tough to find in great condition with most auctions having the outer slipcase missing. At leat it was like that two or three years ago.

Moved this thread to the appropriate category.
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane,

My copy has the angled logo, the blank monster sheet, but no perforated pages. It will be difficult defining different printings for the angled logo version.

So, I simplify things for display on the item page.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralf Toth wrote:
Shane,

My copy has the angled logo, the blank monster sheet, but no perforated pages. It will be difficult defining different printings for the angled logo version.

So, I simplify things for display on the item page.

Pages are not without holes and perforated, but it seems when these were made the were printed on a larger sheet of paper then 8.5 x 11 with perforated edge close to where the holes were punched (probably to make it all universal), then torn from that to create the USA standard sheet.
Well thats how it seems early on...
From what I gather I have the 1st print with only 3 holes punched, and who ever tore the sheets basically ripped them out (I'm thinking they may have been bound) because I have paper past the perforated edge.
Other set has the perforation line going through the holes (so things maybe misaligned when this was done) and the pages were cut instead of torn (probably for obvious reasons to not tear the perforation and this make the pages unable to be bound in a binder)
Then they seem to simply cut the pages after that (least what I have found so far)
The 'blank monster sheet' isn't the one on the back of the Zombie entry..this one for the '2nd' printing is the Instructions for the Blank monster form, but on the other side of that sheet it has nothing (I'd think just added to the 1st print if that 1st printing wasn't as different as it is)
I can only assume then at this point you may have what I labeled as a '3rd'?

whew.. :)

ShaneG.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'll try and get some scans made soon..probably cover pages or instances that better show what I'm trying to say.

ShaneG.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plaag wrote:

Not quite. The back of my "blank monster sheet" is empty (I forgot to say so), The paper is different too, like the paper of the first (empty) sheet, A minor detail: There is one orange and one red empty sheet inside, too.

Another problem which makes it difficult to determine printing, since this item is unbound you never know if at some point in its earlier history it was created out of two incomplete different printings ("Frankenstein copy").

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really tell other then the stuck on was printed in B/W, but the info behind it is as the front page save for it is broken up different due to the placement of the Eastern Vampire pic in the top right (so this is why I'm curious if any of these made it out without this page correction stuck on the back.

From same 1st print..to show how the pages look for many.

Grey scale showed the best representation of this perforation error for the 2nd print..which seems to slowly correct itself further as one goes through it. Also seems this is no one time thing as I have another set that this pattern seems to follow almost exactly.

((No pics of '3rd' or '4th' unless wanted))

So that is why I think a '3rd' print exists since all its pages are cut perfectly, no perforation indications.

And the '4th' is the Gold logo, copyright on each page..with edges again cut, no indication of perforation.

ShaneG.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralf Toth wrote:
Plaag wrote:

Not quite. The back of my "blank monster sheet" is empty (I forgot to say so), The paper is different too, like the paper of the first (empty) sheet, A minor detail: There is one orange and one red empty sheet inside, too.

Another problem which makes it difficult to determine printing, since this item is unbound you never know if at some point in its earlier history it was created out of two incomplete different printings ("Frankenstein copy").

So what is on the back of the Zombie sheet?
And is the "blank monster sheet" in color (i.e. blue/Black/White, or just B/W)?

Not sure why I got on this kick of MCs, probably going through all of them, but I've been creating a spreadsheet for each page..I'd especially love to know what order the pages came in (where do the encounter tables pages appear, in what order, etc for all MCs) And learn what dividers go with which (course later on they added the item # to them but for 1 and 2 I haven't seen this - course only MC 2 I'm curious to know for certain which dividers go with it.) And of course all the extras..like the colored pages for some sets and white blank pages for others.

Man I'm a geek Very Happy

Slight side note: I know MC 3 has 2 printings, but others don't seem to.

ShaneG.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vampire page, mine looks identical (except for the perforation). You described another Vampire page, could you please post that one, too? I'll add it to the archive page then.

Is the perforation intended or could it have been a production flaw?

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralf Toth wrote:
The Vampire page, mine looks identical (except for the perforation). You described another Vampire page, could you please post that one, too? I'll add it to the archive page then.

Is the perforation intended or could it have been a production flaw?

The other Vampire page is the correct ones with 5 hole punches, the blue/black/white page, with this same look. Just not as a stuck on page (I don't have another set with 3 hole punches or this stuck on page).

So you have this stuck to the back of your vampire page? And is it 3 hole punched as well? Very Happy Would be so happy if you do.

I'd say intended on the perforation (my opinion though)..I want to think it was used to bind all the sheet together so then the holes could be punched through and then the sheets torn loose... Man we need someone from that time in TSR history over here to maybe say how it was for these....since I've only see it on the MC 1's.

ShaneG.

cgould42
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional information:

I have a copy which is five-hole punched with poorly perforated sheets. The perforation is 2~4cm from the hole punches. The back of the zombie page is a blue/black/white blank monster page. No other blank monster page is included. The duplication error on the back side of the vampire sheet is present and is not covered by a corrected sheet.

This particular copy I purchased around the time when it first came out. The sheets came in a bundle (or possibly bundles, I can’t remember exactly) that required that you manually tear out each page. I still remember trying to carefully rip the perforation off the sheets and failing. The results were a lot of very torn and jagged edges.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgould42 wrote:
Additional information:

I have a copy which is five-hole punched with poorly perforated sheets. The perforation is 2~4cm from the hole punches. The back of the zombie page is a blue/black/white blank monster page. No other blank monster page is included. The duplication error on the back side of the vampire sheet is present and is not covered by a corrected sheet.

This particular copy I purchased around the time when it first came out. The sheets came in a bundle (or possibly bundles, I can’t remember exactly) that required that you manually tear out each page. I still remember trying to carefully rip the perforation off the sheets and failing. The results were a lot of very torn and jagged edges.

Cool...and interesting (would love to see the back side of the vampire page)

ShaneG.

cgould42
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy of the duplication error on the vampire page.
This is the back of the sheet which is identical to the front with the exception of the picture which is the Eastern vampire instead of the Western. This is a good example of my results from trying to separate the page from the bundle(s).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Advanced D&D 2e Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: