Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Feedback, Questions and Suggestions

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Feedback, Questions and Suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Beyondthebreach
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackmoor wrote:
Hi Guys

how do you get the pictures up, I would like to add a bunch to the Ral Partha Forums (AD&D minis) and I cannot host the pics myself?

Hi Blackmoor. Yes, you can host the pictures yourself . . . if you don't have your own hosting service, you can use photobucket or something similar.

Ultimately, we would like to be able to host the images ourselves, but we don't have a better solution at this time as it would be slow and tedious to have users submit pics to us and then have us upload them and provide the link.

"Yes . . . it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribe also wrote a 5-Minute-Tutorial for posting scans and pictures.
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought this maybe the right thread instead of starting a new one. Anyhow, has there been any major new updates to the main site? And when will the Non TSR page become more filled out with information?

ShaneG.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not from my part. I think we all needed a break. It was really a lot of work for all of us the months and weeks before we published this website. But now for me it is time to return to updating the main site more regular again. I still have a lot of AD&D stuff to post.

Scribe can tell you about his plans for the non-TSR section.
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shane,

No doubts about it. The nonTSR archive section of this site deserves far more attention than I have been giving it. It is a bigger animal than I am prepared to tackle. I would like to take on an interested partner or two who have web-based skills. I have been discussing this with my colleagues on staff here now about this possibility.

In the interim, the research forums are excellent ways for the visitor to gather, upload information or download knowledge in a very immediate way.

Rifter
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just curious,

What is the difference between the goal of this site and The Acaeum?

I prefer this one and it's obvious that there's some different information but it seems to me (an objective outsider) that both sites have the same guy running them (I could be completely wrong Wink ) and they both seemingly focus (or want to focus) primarily on the same thing.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are entirely different sites run by different people. As such, I can't really relate the goals of the Acaeum other than it was conceived and run as a 1e TSR D&D collectible reference. Where it has gone lately and where it is headed, I haven't an idea.

Our aim here is a comprehensive resource for TSR, other RPGs, fanzines, conventions, wargames, minis, etc. The idea is to create a format so the visitor can clearly contribute to the assembly of the resource in a meaningful way. The forum is the initial step toward this goal but we understand its limitations and are presently working on developing another solution that will work in concert with the existing forum format.

I'd say the similarities between the two sites lie specifically in that it is about collectible role playing materials. The collectible community isn't particularly big so you will find many of the same people bandying about both areas.

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Scribe has stated, the mission of the Tome is very broad and the intent is to cover basically everything related to RPGs and wargames. The stated mission of the Acaeum is posted here:

http://acaeum.com/frontdesk/intro.html

Its goal is to basically to cover things up to about 1990 - more or less everything before 2nd Edition D&D (and only the D&D line).

Although a bit out of their scope, The Acaeum has expanded to include Judges Guild and Planescape subwebs because these areas are of considerable interest to a couple members and they spent the time to develop them. Each subweb is basically under the control of one or two people for maintenance and updates. In the case of the JG subweb this seems to work well but in other cases not as well. The Planescape subweb although nearly complete has been in limbo for almost 3 years now. Other subwebs were proposed but no one took up the flag to develop them.

If you are interested in discussing the future of the Acaeum, it is probably better to do that there. You may want to check out these threads:

http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4637&start=20

http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7415

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I prefer this one and it's obvious that there's some different information but it seems to me (an objective outsider) that both sites have the same guy running them (I could be completely wrong Wink ) and they both seemingly focus (or want to focus) primarily on the same thing.

Besides the scope and content, site administration is perhaps the biggest difference. Site administration at the Acaeum is near-impotent, and that fact alone has caused a tremendous amount of bad feelings throughout the rpg collecting community. There have been death threats over there. The last time I saw the forums a few years ago the 'hate Whitfield thread' was almost up to 100 pages. Imagine that! A 100 pages of hate! How in the world does that advance the community? All of that energy that could have been used to create something is wasted instead. Almost every collector has been a target of unrestrained scorn at some point. The forums have degenerated into a stage with the actors jockeying for time. On top of that there's a private forum where the anointed dish on the rest, reminiscent of the Coliseum. It's really too bad, especially since the best moment in our community occurred there. When DSIII was dying, everyone came together. It looked like the beginning of something special. It wasn't.

If you need D&D print info, it's still the place to go for the time being, and the work Shane has done with Judges Guild is simply the best. Our forums are not free-for-alls, and anyone who goes down that road will be banned. Amazingly, there is energy and goodwill still left in the community, enough to really do something. That's why I'm here. It's important for new collectors to have a place to go where they can ask questions in a productive environment. Our hobby is in danger of dying. When the people collecting now give it up in ten years, who will carry the torch forward? We have to inspire new people into the hobby or there will be no hobby. The Tome is structured to meet that challenge. We have to try.

Rifter
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I think the, "For Dungeons and Dragons Collectibles" threw me off a bit Wink

The Acaeum forums are indeed rough... I mainly use that site to see the dragon covers (the ones they have scans of) and I use the TSR Archives for other info. I'd be happy if all the TSR and other RPG's (and maybe gamebooks and other RPG satellite items) were compiled into one site and that's hopefully what is happening here Cool

I was sincerely curious. Thanks again!

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rifter wrote:
Thanks! I think the, "For Dungeons and Dragons Collectibles" threw me off a bit Wink

You make a very valid point. I made that logo years ago and it was never updated with the movement of the site. To be sure, the mission here has shifted since its inception. The initial idea was a comprehensive site for anything Dungeons and Dragons. This included TSR, nonTSR, Minis, Merchandise, Fanzines, and related Conventions. As we have added to our administrative numbers, the focus has shifted to be comprehensive of non-D&D rpgs and wargames in addition to the original scope.

In short, the logo is sorely overdue to be updated (any graphics people out there!) Wink

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scribe wrote:
(any graphics people out there!)

I think I can program well but I know my graphics skills are non existent.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can graphics OK, but I can't program my coffee maker. Wink

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to dabble in graphics..you talking about the plain text logo above? As in making it 'pop' and state 'For Role Playing Game Collectibles'? ((Oh and that's not professionally mind you, I just use the programs I have..mainly Paint Very Happy ))

ShaneG.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 minutes of piddling around with just the title.

ShaneG.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a nice one. I thought I'd play around and put it on the item page buttons. Hope you don't mind!

http://tomeoftreasures.com/tot_odd/odd.htm

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should note that I think I know where to change the image for the forum header. But I'd rather not be the one to mess with server-side applications. Wink Mebbers when Ralf can swing around to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Town Crier All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: