Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Mentzer's "Gypsy"

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Mentzer's "Gypsy"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Potluck -> RPGA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Mentzer's "Gypsy" Reply with quote

Our Shield has taken the lead!! Good luck, Christophe!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5241484355
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely no illusion, the final price will be at least twice what I would be ready to pay. But it's important to bid a high amount, from time to time, to look as a serious collector. Wink

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. It is like showing up to a glitzy dinner party and ducking out on the final check. Laughing

This is something I wouldn't pay more than a $100 for it personally. It was never published in any other form so it doesn't really relate directly to a known TSR product. There are thousands of these kinds of things floating around from various tournaments.

There are three upsides to it though.....it is greyhawk and those dudes are nuts for vintage material (if thats what you could call a later 80s mod), it was supposed to be a later tie in to the R series or something (but I thought all r modules were dead in the water in the early 80s), and thirdly...I forget what i was gonna say.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribe wrote:
I love it. It is like showing up to a glitzy dinner party and ducking out on the final check. Laughing

Scribe rocks!! Rock out

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly $1,000 for this tournament module. Stormberg bought it. I wouldn't have spent $100 on it. Maybe $10. Razz

Opinions?

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick remark, first. I'm a bit surprised by the winner. I was expecting invicibleoverlord or improvstone. Maybe Stormberg consider the Mentzer name is enough to see this item as AD&D history, but it's more probably a speculative purchase, with the hope to resell if for $2000 in 5 years.

So, what do we have exactly here ?
A three parts RPGA tournament from 1986, written by F. Mentzer. It's also signed by him, with the mention 'Finale'. (Don't smile, every detail can count in the final amount...)
A second copy of the part 2, both copies being still unopened in their enveloppe.
A 4 pages letter from Mentzer to the DMs, on TSR paper.
Mentzer confirmed on Acaeum an hypothetical link with the R series.
Condition is EX, pages are unseparated, and source is considered as reliable.

Let's face it, this is very nice stuff. Especially if, like me, you're into tournament modules. After all, they are the "generic" module (ok, not really, but they're usually considered as small press because you can't find an editor for them !) with the lowest print runs...
The weakest point, mentioned by Adam, is the publication year. 1986 is old, but not "very" old either.

What can be the value of this set ?
If you consider ebay results as the Rule, the value is $967.00, plain and simple.
If you smooth ebay results with my method, and remove the 2nd higest bidder to avoid the possible "bid war" effect, the value is $730, which was more or less the expected result, even if it's way too high IMO.
Now, I propose you my own thoughts, for what it's worth. The max amount I'm willing to pay for small press stuff / tourney modules is $40 (with a very few exceptions, like Wee Warriors, because I have no choice...) When I saw this auction (before reading anything on Acaeum, and before the seller mentioned the second round 2 copy and the TSR letters), I decided to count the 3 rounds as 3 modules. Call it common sense, or call it lame excuse to break my own rule to try to win, as you want Wink
Anyway, my max was set up : $120. Then, I saw the details you've all seen. Considering all this, I did estimate $200 was acceptable. I would have resold the extra round 2 and the letter, expecting maybe $50, ending at $150 for the module.
I still think today that $200 is a good estimation.
Of course, after the posts on Acaeum, it was obvious price would rise beyond reason, so I put my $555 bid for fun. I went to bed about 5 hours before the end, I was still leading at $455, but I was not afraid. I knew I would find the "you've been outbid" mail in the morning...

PS : On the other hand, I deeply regret to have lost the auctions for the zines the same seller was offering. Once again, I knew perfectly I wouldn't win, alas. But I couldn't imagine the 9 issues quasits and quasars would go for over $300 !!!

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that's some long post d'oh!

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShield wrote:
Damn, that's some long post d'oh!

It's an interesting one!

See also [improvestone]'s remark on Acaeum forum on Frank's estimation. Laughing

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralf Toth wrote:
See also [improvestone]'s remark on Acaeum forum on Frank's estimation. Laughing

That's frightening Shock and Awe
I don't know what is the most frightening, though : the price proposed by Frank, the impact it had, or the mere fact that someone can bid $900 on an item without furher thought than 'I saw this figure somewhere'...

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things were at work with this winner....not only is he interested in owning everything 'rare' D&D, but he is a Greyhawk nut of the most pure bred. I can understand why he had to battle it out to get it but I would never ever spend more than $100 for such an item because I don't want it.

Which is the bottom line on value. So long as two guys want it badly it is gonna go for a notch above the second highest bid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> RPGA All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: