Tome of Treasures :: View topic - The Castle Perilous (1980)

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

The Castle Perilous (1980)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> W -> West Wind Simulations
View previous topic :: View next topic  

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: The Castle Perilous (1980) Reply with quote

Title: The Castle Perilous
Item Code: n/a
Type: Fantasy role-playing game
Copyright: 1980 by James T. Sheldon and West Wind Publications
Author: James Sheldon
Artwork: Jack S. Hollandbeck
Place of Publication: Verona, Missouri, United States
Format: 72 page softcover, 4 page booklet, 1 page art sheet, 2 joined pages mini-poster, 4 page chart booklet, 1 random number sheet
ISBN: n/a
Cover Price: n/a
Mass: 248g
Dimensions: length 27.3cm, width 21.2cm, thickness .4cm

From the introduction: "The Castle Perilous is an exciting game which can be enjoyed by anyone who is old enough, and mature enough, to want something more from a game than chasing pieces around a board.

The adventures are played in your imagination, but they are drawn up and controlled in notebooks, maps, sketches and descriptions which are created by the Marchwarden (game controller). The Marchwarden (which may be you) then leads players through the world which is created on paper by verbal description. With words the story unfolds and an adventure is created; although visual aids in the form of your maps and drawings, line or full color, may also be used. But the spoken work is what ultimately paints a picture in the imagination."

Additional image:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The newsletter/MW's aid with the additional pieces was tucked in the back of the book, and so it is listed as part of it. It's impossible to tell if it was part of the original release or something purchased separately. More samples are needed.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have listed above came in a box set..I shall try and get a scan of front and back of the box soon (actually think I have that scan someplace already)

Also contained in the box is 3 small black 6-siders in a bag and 5 metal miniatures in a bag (got this SWed at the time so dice and minis still unopened)

ShaneG.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mass: 480g (for box and contents)
Dimensions: length 31.0cm, width 23.2cm, thickness 5.1cm (for box)

ShaneG.

castleperilousauthor
Student
Student

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Pleased to see the covers. Reply with quote

Hello!
From out of the blue of the western skies...well out of the aether of the world wide web might be a better euphemism...

I was pleasantly surprised to see the covers when I typed in the name of the Game. I've been on the web for....how many years now....and never went to the trouble to enter the name into Google except one other time... :)

I had communicated several years ago with someone in Europe who still had a copy or two, it might have been you folks, but Windows crashed and burned and took all my files with it several times before I took to heart the necessity of an external hard drive.

Allow me to compliment you on the marvelous rendering of the colours of the covers.

Just as a little piece of information about the production of the artwork. The black and white line art was done by a fellow that was/is(if still alive) color blind. That is why the dragon erupting from the castle is so incredibly detailed and the head is almost hidden in the upper part of the picture. To him, the detail rather "made up" for the lack of color, but unfortunately, since he could see the detail so well, it was hard for him to perceive how people who see in color get lost in so much detail.

The color art and the black and white line art on the large poster were done by another artist who could see color, and, his previous artwork was, surprisingly, "western(cowboy) art".... he had done the artwork for "the Silver Dollar City Game" a board game which I produced for said corporation.

His forte was not....dragons.... Laughing it was more in the line of horses..and his art also had a "broader" sweep than the other artist.

Well, again, let me thank you for posting the wonderful pictures, I run Linux and have screenshots of them which I will put in my scrapbook.

cpa

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah cool, just seen this today.
Not sure who I bought the item off of, but don't think it was anyone in Europe (shipping would have been expensive.)

So, question time :)
Was there ever going to be more books/adventures put out for this, or was it just a one time thing?

Do you happen to know why there is a gold foil like round sticker on these books?

ShaneG.

myvyrrian
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the list that tfm mentionned for the Castle Perilous 1st ed., there is an errata sheet.
My copy should be a "revised" edition since there is the flyer "New game 70 pages", and a sticker on the top right corner to hide the price.
In the last page, "the ongoing saga of Castle Perilous", the price ($5.95) in the sentence "we do not plan to increase prices above $5.95 if we can help it" has been "scribbled".

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the scan of the booklet/errata only edition in the original plastic. Perhaps when James Sheldon comes through again, he can clarify printing/editions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> West Wind Simulations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: