Tome of Treasures :: View topic - PHBR printings

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

PHBR printings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> AD&D -> Advanced D&D 2e Supplements
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: PHBR printings Reply with quote

This list was originally created by blackdougal over on Acaeum.
I've kept it and believe added somewhat to it. I have had a few printings of each over the years, but have only kept the earliest versions and sold off later printings.

Print history on many of these is hard to pin down because of TSR's habit of omitting printing information on many editions. In addition, some books have incorrect printing information listed in the interior. Almost all of these books had multiple reprints over a ten-year period, with many stylistic changes being made as the series progressed. Here's some general printing information for the series:

Three distinctive cover styles were used over the course of the series:

The faux leather cover was used from the inception of the line in 1989 through early 1994. These covers are a dark reddish-brown color and have a dull, textured surface. All of the front cover and spine text is imprinted in gold foil. The back cover text is printed on a large sticker, which is set in a recessed area.

The pebbly cover was apparently used sporadically from late 1993 to mid-1996. The coloration is similar to the faux leather cover, though generally lighter in shade. The cover is overlaid with a slick, glossy, heavily textured laminate. Cover information is still done in gold foil, though the back cover information is now printed on the book.

The granite cover was used for the Wizards of the Coast reprints issued between 1996 and 1999. Coloration is similar to other prints, though a striated granite-like pattern is now being used. Covers are slick and glossy, and the gold foil has been dropped. The Advanced Dungeons & Dragons logo has been updated to the current style.

The earliest books have only the PHBR# code in the front upper left corner. Starting in 1991 a line of text was added underneath the PHBR# code indicating, in all caps, the subject of the book (i.e. PHBR2 has "THIEF'S" underneath it). In late 1991 this was changed to standard capitalization. In 1994 the PHBR# code was dropped entirely.

Earlier books have the angled TSR logo. In mid-1991 this was changed to the new gold angled logo. From 1994 on the dragon logo was used.

Sometime in mid- to late-1991 TSR changed from a 12-digit UPC to an 18-digit UPC.

Originally, these books had $15.00 cover prices. In 1993 prices jumped to $18.00. From 1994 to 1999 prices seemed to fluctuate between $19.95 and $20.00.

PHBR1 The Complete Fighter's Handbook

First (1989): Faux leather cover, angled TSR logo, $15.00 cover price. 12-digit UPC.

Second (1991): Identical to first print except uses gold angled TSR logo and now has "FIGHTER" printed under the PHBR1 code on front cover. States "Second Printing December 1991" on interior.

Third (?): Identical to second print except that no print information is listed in the interior.

Fourth (?): Identical to second print except now has 18-digit UPC. Interior states "2nd printing May 1992."

Fifth (?): Identical to second print except now has 18-digit UPC and $18.00 cover price. States "Printed in the U.S.A. November 1993" on interior.

Sixth – Tenth (?): Unknown

Eleventh (1996): Granite cover. States "11th Printing, May 1996" on interior. $19.95 cover price. 18-digit UPC. TSR dragon logo.

PHBR2 The Complete Thief's Handbook

First (1989): Faux leather cover, angled TSR logo, $15.00 cover price. 12-digit UPC.

Second (1991): Identical to first print except uses gold angled TSR logo and now has "THIEF'S" printed under the PHBR2 code on front cover. Also has 1991 copyright on back cover and interior.

Third? (1993): Identical to second print except now has $18.00 cover price and 18-digit UPC. States "Printed in the U.S.A. November 1993" on the interior.

Fourth? (?): Identical to third print except now uses TSR dragon logo.

PHBR3 The Complete Priest's Handbook

First (1990): Faux leather cover, angled TSR logo, $15.00 cover price. 12-digit UPC.

Second - Sixth (?): Unknown.

Seventh (1996): Granite cover. TSR dragon logo. States "Seventh printing, October 1996" on interior. $20.00 cover price. 18-digit UPC.

PHBR4 The Complete Wizard's Handbook

First (1990): Faux leather cover, angled TSR logo, $15.00 cover price. 12-digit UPC.

Second (?): Identical to first print except uses gold angled TSR logo and now has "WIZARD'S" printed under the PHBR4 on cover.

Third? (1993): Identical to second print except has $18 cover price and 18-digit UPC. States "Printed in the U.S.A. November 1993" on the interior.

Fourth - Ninth (?): Unknown.

Tenth (1996): Pebbly cover. States "Tenth printing, March 1996" on interior. $19.95 cover price. 18-digit UPC. TSR dragon logo.

Eleventh(?) (?): Identical to tenth print except granite cover.

PHBR5 The Complete Psionics Handbook

First (1991): Faux leather cover, angled TSR logo, $15.00 cover price. 12-digit UPC.

Second (1991): Faux leather cover, gold angled TSR logo. States "Second Printing: September 1991" on interior. Incorporates some errata. 18-digit UPC.

Third – Fourth: Unknown.

Fifth (April 1994): Gold angled TSR logo.

PHBR6 The Complete Book of Dwarves

First (1991): Faux leather cover, gold angled TSR logo, $15.00 cover price. 12-digit UPC.

Second (1993): Pebbly cover. Does not list print information on interior, but does state "Printed in the U.S.A. November 1993". $20.00 cover price. 18-digit UPC.

PHBR7 The Complete Bard's Handbook

First (1992): Faux leather cover, gold angled TSR logo, $15.00 cover price. 18-digit UPC. Erroneously states "PHBR8" on cover. Unlike other books in this time frame, this one does not have "BARD'S" listed under the PHBR8 code.

PHBR8 The Complete Book of Elves

First (1992): Faux leather cover, gold angled TSR logo, $15.00 cover price, 18-digit UPC.

Second (?): Granite cover, TSR dragon logo, $19.95 cover price, 18-digit UPC.

PHBR9 The Complete Book of Gnomes & Halflings

First (1993): Faux leather cover, gold angled TSR logo, $15.00 cover price, 18-digit UPC.

Second (?): Unknown.

Third (1994): Granite cover, TSR dragon logo. States "Third Printing, February 1994" on interior. $20.00 cover price. 18-digit UPC.

PHBR10 The Complete Book of Humanoids

First (1993): Faux leather cover, gold angled TSR logo, $15.00 cover price. 18-digit UPC.

Second (?): Unknown.

Third (1994): Identical to first print except has gold angled TSR logo and $18.00 cover price. States "Third printing, January 1994" on interior.

Fourth (?): Unknown.

Fifth (1995): Granite cover, TSR dragon logo. On the cover "Humanoids" is in a different font than previous editions. States "Fifth printing, July 1995" on interior. The cover price in incorrectly listed as $18.00 on the back although the UPC indicates the correct cover price of $19.95.

Sixth (1999): Identical to fifth print except interior states "Sixth printing Match 1999".

PHBR11 The Complete Ranger's Handbook

First (1993): Faux leather cover, gold angled TSR logo, $18.00 cover price. 18-digit UPC.

Second (1994): Identical to first print except states "Second printing, February 1994" on the interior.

Third: Unknown.

Fourth (October 1996): TSR Dragon logo, granite cover.

The Complete Paladin's Handbook

First (1994): Faux leather cover, gold angled TSR logo, $18.00 cover price. 18-digit UPC.

Second (?): Granite cover, TSR dragon logo, $19.95 cover price. 18-digit UPC.

The Complete Druid's Handbook

First (1994): Faux leather cover, TSR dragon logo, $18.00 cover price. 18-digit UPC.

Second (?): Granite cover, TSR dragon logo, $20.00 cover price. 18-digit UPC.

The Complete Barbarian's Handbook

First (?): States "Printed in the U.S.A. (C)1995 TSR, Inc." and has the faux leather cover, the TSR Dragon logo and a cover price of $18.00.

Second (?) (1995): Pebbly cover, TSR dragon logo, $19.95 cover price. 18-digit UPC.

The Complete Ninja's Handbook

First (1995): Faux leather cover, TSR dragon logo, $18.00 cover price. 18-digit UPC.

Second (1996): Pebbly cover, TSR dragon logo, $20.00 cover price. 18-digit UPC. States "2nd printing, March 1996" on interior.

I think info regarding UPC code could be better stated as I seem to recall getting confused regarding this at some point with some of the printings..anyway, there is the whole can of worms Very Happy

ShaneG.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this list. Scott (@Acaeum) has offered to exchange printing information, but I do not want to use that info unless Adrian agrees to it. We could shoot him an email or wait for him to show up (he was among the invited).

Of course, you can also start posting that stuff. Then I can add it without problem. But it's going to take a while. There are different printings not only for PHBR, but also DMGR and I believe HR series. shocked

What foul demon have we summoned here? 2nd Edition print runs... whose idea was it again? Razz
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralf Toth wrote:
What foul demon have we summoned here? 2nd Edition print runs... whose idea was it again? Razz

I think that would be TSR and WotC? Laughing

ShaneG.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd per info listed above.

ShaneG.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd+ (have nothing to go by yet to define exactly what printing, but is not a 1st)

ShaneG.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd, front is just like 1st, so only posting back.

ShaneG.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st print

ShaneG.

Plaag
Librarian
Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am curious to know if the title page color is different for some printings..early on (Ftr, Thf, etc) its the blue/white logo for Advanced D&D..then it seems to change depending on the book, from BW, to some lettering Mauve, or red.

Elves comes to mind as I look at it (having some red lettering and logo.)

Oh well, shall post more as I organize shocked

ShaneG.

cgould42
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting note on PHBR11 Complete Ranger's Handbook

I have as indicated the "4th printing" which changes to a granite cover - October 1996. That said, the advertisement on the last page is for Dragon Magazine dated 1999 and indicates that TSR, Inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast. The information on the back cover also indicates "TSR, Inc is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast."

I also have as indicated the "4th printing" which changes to a granite cover - October 1996. but the advertisement on the last page is for Dragon/Dungeon Magazine dated 1995. That said, the information on the back cover indicates "TSR, Inc is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast."

I found a "fifth printing" faux leather cover TSR Dragon Logo - July 1995. Wizards of the Coast not referenced at all. I speculate by the date indicated and the cover that this may actually be the third printing.

Cheers,
Curt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Advanced D&D 2e Supplements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: