Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Incredible

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Incredible
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should be happy that the seller didn't get all those back, otherwise the temptation to "second chance" the bundle to the underbidder might've been too great.
If/when those go up again, I'll be reporting them to eBay as he blew any remaining credibility he had by declining to tell bidders about that voluntarily. I trust you didn't encourage him to relist deliberate fakes, Kynan, since I thought you were totally against that sort of thing?

Cheers & Thanks for the update,
David.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told him they were reprints and that if he should try to list them again to put that in his description. True, I hate that sort of thing, but they're his--I can't tell him not to.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another used-to-be high dollar item goes for next to nothing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130272875345

Chainmail 1st edition_ 1-27-08 ebay290200194774 G $1924

There was another that closed not too long after this for $2500 or something.

Between the economy and the bad collecting blood out there I don't expect it to get any better anytime soon. Hopefully, some new people will take advantage of the downturn. Either that or D&D will join the Pantheon of Beanie Babies and Precious Moments.

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
Between the economy and the bad collecting blood out there I don't expect it to get any better anytime soon.

Do you think there is lots of bad collecting blood out there and that it effects the marketplace much? I would say there is definitely some rivalry but I don't think too much of it is bad blood.

I don't know if I consider myself a top tear bidder since I very infrequently bid on any of the high priced stuff. I am also often outbid but I don't hold any resentment for being outbid.

cgould42
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Seeing a 1st Print Chainmail sell for less than a grand just kills me. It was not too long ago I would have jumped on that but the economy has forced me to curtail my purchases for the time being. Unfortunate as it seems there are a lot of deals to be had if one can afford it.

Cheers,
Curt

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've stopped putting my money into ebay and the prices for the things I would buy reflect it. If a couple more high-end collectors also do the same, then the high-end is finished. To be certain, unless a collector bought this stuff before ten years ago, the value of collections assembled in that time have gone down by a third. Of the stuff I've bought, the only things that I could my money back on are the things I bought first. The competition between collectors has been fierce, driving up prices and creating exposure for the hobby, but now that they're down that exposure will go down too. The economically-based promotion vehicle that hobby has relied on for self-promotion is dead. What will the hobby do now? As long as 'getting it' is more important than 'teaching it' the downward spiral will continue. Will anyone even care twenty years from now? It does not look promising.

cgould42
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as long as people continue to play D&D #ED or other RPGs the hobby will continue to survive in some form. I believe most people start collecting RPG to capture memories from a period in there life. Some expand their interest once they get started as other areas of the hobby appeal to them. I never played OD&D or most other RPGs but my interest in 1E/2E D&D opened the door to the hobby and created other areas of interest.

That said I fully agree there needs be a supportive network of follow collectors in order for the hobby to thrive. The best thing about sites like the Tome is it is a place where a collector can go where others at least to some degree understand their passion and information can be shared and passed on.

I know in 20+ years I will still care Very Happy Part of my retirement plans are to finally be able to spend the time I would like on my collection, both in research and playing the game(s).

Cheers,
Curt

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but once the 'caring' generation who buys for nostalgic reasons drops dead, nostalgia will cease to be an active force in the hobby. Then what?

cgould42
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new caring generation is in the works. I know that the younger generation is playing paper RPGs. Eventually part of that generation will move into the position where they will want to collect the product they played when they were younger and that will open the door for further collecting. I think until people stop playing the games there will be RPG collectors.

Cheers,
Curt

Rifter
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I've stopped putting my money into ebay and the prices for the things I would buy reflect it. If a couple more high-end collectors also do the same, then the high-end is finished. To be certain, unless a collector bought this stuff before ten years ago, the value of collections assembled in that time have gone down by a third. Of the stuff I've bought, the only things that I could my money back on are the things I bought first. The competition between collectors has been fierce, driving up prices and creating exposure for the hobby, but now that they're down that exposure will go down too. The economically-based promotion vehicle that hobby has relied on for self-promotion is dead. What will the hobby do now? As long as 'getting it' is more important than 'teaching it' the downward spiral will continue. Will anyone even care twenty years from now? It does not look promising.

If it's an investment sort of strategy that you have, I think you're best off buying unique items like paintings and true rares. "I love the hobby and would "invest" in something more profitable" is a typical statement you hear when people talk about hobby expenses... Seriously though, I think we all secretly hope that were making great decisions and getting incredibly good deals that will be amazingly profitable down the road when everyone else knows better! This is what I think the majority of "collectors" hope will happen whether they say it or not... If we don't think this way then it dawns on us at some point that were spending 1000's of dollars on this stuff and the numbers might be too hard to justify if you're not looking at this as a pseudo investment.
My opinion is that the "rares" as far as printed publications are not as rare as people wish that they were. These numbers are out there for items that possibly exist and none of those numbers seems really factual to me. Then some genius will create a chart showing how X copies must have been trashed/lost/pulped... Yeah.. right. It's completely speculative IMO. Other problems incude the possibility of counterfeits and shady stuff. Most of these "rares" aren't high quality publications by any means. Look at some of the "rare" offerings over the past few years like "1 of" zerox copies of manuscripts. How seriously can you take that sort of thing when you think about it? As far as the intellectual property goes I think you're very safe in collecting the game materials. The online games will get better and better and someday it will all get traced back to early TSR. I'm unsure how you don't lose $$$ though in the meantime? If it's purely about being an enthusiast and a hobby for you then you're fine!
That being said... ... ... I would like a few of the "rares" myself, Original 1st printing D&D and the Night Ventures modules at some point down the road.
If you feel an emptiness type of feeling about the matter I can relate to you. I had an awesome collection of games and sold it all. I just lost that passion that I had... Then, I got into the art. I recently sort of had the same feelings that I did when I decided to sell my game collection. I realized that for myself I needed to make my collection and my hobby my own. More on this down the road Wink I cannot relate to people who talk about "community" or keeping this stuff for the future generations or whatever. That just isn't me... I could care less about anyone else as far as collecting goes because it's "my" hobby and as soon as I associate myself with "other" then I become immersed with all the low level wannabees, look at all the petty morons there are on these different forums. You know what I mean... As soon as I take a "we" approach to this thing then I'm doomed to be disapointed cause there are too many tools out there. It's like the toolshed is overflowing and everywhere you go there's a tool these days Wink Anyways, my suggestion is that you do what you want to do for yourself. Maybe become more involved in the process instead of just buying and owning will make you happier? Reading your latest thoughts has me thinking that you're very close to selling out which isn't a bad idea if you lose your passion for the hobby. Looking for outside support will not be helpful though. Just my opinion of course. Everyone will want to lowball you and take advantage of you. There really is no "community" online that cares about your best interests... Maybe I read too much into your previous writings Wink If so then I apologize.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good advice. Thanks. I am pretty burned out, but I look at it as my fault. My background is academic and so that's kind of the approach I had to the whole thing. I do feel that saving things for the future is a good idea, but what surprised me the most, and I think you've picked up on it, is that the 'community' doesn't share that aspiration. It never occurred to me that collectors wouldn't want that, and that assumption is my fault entirely. And you're right. Everything on the internet is, basically, amateur night. That's where I wanted to make the change, to make it professional, to apply academic standards to it in order to elevate into public discourse. My work here has been an experiment to gauge the interest by providing an opportunity for participation. As you can see, there have some bright lights in the darkness but no community. It's pretty easy to walk away from it now.

Rifter
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing for me was when I sold my collection, I wanted to keep a few items just so I would have something left and the items that I really cared about the most were not the big time $$$ items Wink Be warned that there's some regret there but not enough that I have considered starting anew. The art eats up too much $$$ either way Very Happy

Like I was saying though, I started feeling the same way about the art until I had a kind of epiphany or whatever it was. There's an emptiness in collecting (I think) unless you're a part of the process somehow. I took a very radical approach as far as that goes but I think the site you have here and the work that you guys are doing is certainly part of the "process" and could be fullfilling (albeit overwhelming at times). Maybe you just need a break Wink Just don't do anything rash and take a big loss if you decide to sell. Many people out there in our "community" will nickel and dime you... I think this site is seemingly dedicated collectors and as you can see it's a very small group. I think the majority of online collectors on some other sites are actually small time dealer types just looking to make a quick score. Kinda like the local baseball card shop owners from back in the day...

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
I am pretty burned out, but I look at it as my fault. My background is academic and so that's kind of the approach I had to the whole thing. I do feel that saving things for the future is a good idea, but what surprised me the most, and I think you've picked up on it, is that the 'community' doesn't share that aspiration. It never occurred to me that collectors wouldn't want that, and that assumption is my fault entirely.

I think you're both painting with pretty broad strokes here: there are a large number of folks out there who are interested in the history and development of the games and the hobby as a whole. Like all things, I think that interest waxes and wanes, but at the moment I see it waxing rather than waning. The number of old school gaming blogs has increased significantly over 2008, and the readerships there have driven new folks into the collecting community. New members join the Acaeum, Dragonsfoot, Knight & Knaves, and other boards regularly, and some find their way to ToT too.

WRT the value of collectible rares, I think we're going to see record prices paid for items over the next few years once Gail Gygax starts to open the vaults of Gary's hoard of standard gaming products, original manuscripts, and such. Other designers' hoards will certainly follow, and my hope is that many of these items will also see print so that they're broadly available outside of the core collecting community who can afford to drop $2500 or $500 for 1st Chainmails (and let's face it, I'm sure several collectors passed on the $500 copy due to its coloring-book condition). It's great that the Dungeon Hobby Shop levels, the original Castle Greyhawk levels, etc., are in collector hands who appreciate them, but it would be even better if they were broadly available to the gaming public via publication, which can only further interest in the history of the hobby (and collecting that history) in general.

tfm wrote:
Everything on the internet is, basically, amateur night. That's where I wanted to make the change, to make it professional, to apply academic standards to it in order to elevate into public discourse.

Amateur scholars are just that, but it doesn't reduce the value of the contributions folks have made here, at the Acaeum, or Adrian's site, or Matthias' and Ian's sites, etc., etc.: the internet makes this kind of effort much more accessible than it was before. (Remember the days of limited edition bibliographies listing works published by HPL, Clark Ashton Smith, Arkham House, etc.---even knowing that those bibliographies existed BITD was a feat, much less finding most of the works cataloged in them!).

tfm wrote:
My work here has been an experiment to gauge the interest by providing an opportunity for participation. As you can see, there have some bright lights in the darkness but no community. It's pretty easy to walk away from it now.

Are you saying that about your general interest in collecting Kynan, or about the ToT (or Acaeum?) specifically?? I certainly hope that even if you stop collecting actively that you'd continue to share your experiences and knowledge here and elsewhere as your time/interest permits! Very Happy
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Blackmoor
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might just add a few opinions of my own here about collecting and "investing" in high end collectables.

Anytime anybody speculates on anything there are people that lose out big time. Look at what the Speculators did to the price of oil and natural gas over the last 8 months ($140 down to $40). Normally it is the speculators that lose out.

I have been through this up and down cycle before, I collect comics as well as games and in the early 90’s the bottom fell out of the comic market. The Speculators had ruined it for everybody buying 100’s of each issue and marking them up almost immediately as collector’s pieces. Who lost out the most at that time? You guessed it, it was the speculators. The collectors who bought and enjoyed the books are still doing so. One thing to note! While you can get most comics from the late 80’s and early 90’s for about 10 cents each, the early, rare and important comics are still very valuable and gaining value every year.

Consistently rare collectables hold there value over time, the key is patience and timing.

The regular collectors if they are patient will get what they are after for a reasonable price. For example I was trying to get a limited edition miniature a few years back, they were fairly common and were going for about $50.00 on EBay. I was patient and put a $20 bid on every one for two years; finally I won one from Australia. My wife painted it up for me and it is an awesome piece.

There is a decline in the value of rare RPG’s right now, no question. As a “High End Collector” I have seen the value of many of my items depreciate over the last 8 months. What else has depreciated for me? Well it is the same as everybody, my savings, my retirement plan, and my house value. Thing is I still need a place to live so I don’t care about the value of my house, I really like my rare RPG items so I am not going to sell them and lose money, I am still working (somewhat anyway) so my savings and retirement money will have a chance to recover.

What I am trying to say really is be patient, don’t sell in a down market, don’t panic and don’t cry about it.

Happy New Year

PS: Lets just cross 2008 off of the map, it really sucked

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I invest in people, not collectibles. My interest in valuation is solely in its connection to promotion of the hobby. The more things are worth, the more attention they receive. Therefore, if the value falls, then it does say something about the interest. The simple fact that the Role-Playing category on ebay holds 60% of what it did two years ago says something. With a bad economy a person would think selling would be up, not down. In my opinion the valuation vehicle which the hobby has relied upon for exposure and promotion is dead. If something else doesn't come along to say, "Look at this great stuff! It's important and can teach as well as entertain," then I think the game is over. As I told Aaron when I sent my first of soon-to-be many boxes to him, I wanted to use my degree to help promote the hobby through the scholastic side of things--writing grant proposals, submitting articles to scholarly journals, designing a college course to study the role-playing game phenomenon; basically, the who, the what, the where and the why. What I've discovered is that I am next to alone in that desire. The bulk of collectors don't have any interest in promoting the hobby outside of adding to their own collections. My problem is that I didn't recognize that. The collective consciousness to do something more doesn't exist within the current community. The best moment is still what might be called the Sutherland moment. Anyway, it stands in my mind of what is possible when people work together. Of course, in 50 years, no one will even know it happened. I've met some great people in this hobby, and that I'm thankful for. And then there's the not-so-great. Well, they're stuck with themselves and their habit. I feel nothing but pity for those junkies. It's a hard habit to kick.

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kynan---

tfm wrote:
I invest in people, not collectibles. My interest in valuation is solely in its connection to promotion of the hobby. The more things are worth, the more attention they receive. [snip] In my opinion the valuation vehicle which the hobby has relied upon for exposure and promotion is dead. [snip]

FWIW, I think that this is part of why you're disappointed in rpgs and collecting at the moment: if I'm reading what you're saying properly (and do please correct me if I'm not on target), your valuation scale for the "good" in collecting (so to speak) seems to be based on an external monetary value. This is a fine scale for assessing the monetary value for a gaming collection, or for anything else that you want to sell or value in fiscal terms, but I can't help but see that as a misplaced scaling system (at best) to drive the historical, contextual, and educational goals you outline here:

tfm wrote:
I wanted to use my degree to help promote the hobby through the scholastic side of things--writing grant proposals, submitting articles to scholarly journals, designing a college course to study the role-playing game phenomenon; basically, the who, the what, the where and the why. What I've discovered is that I am next to alone in that desire.

And, again, I don't think you're alone at all: over 1000 people read http://grognardia.blogspot.com daily; Dragonsfoot has over 4400 members; newer/nichier boards like Knights & Knaves Alehouse, Finarvyn's OD&D board support memberships in the 300-600 range. 500+ copies of the first three issues of OD&D fanzine Fight On were sold in 2008). I think the old-school renaissance is on the rise, and getting healthier daily.

And many of those old-school gamers are mature, established adults---they have families, they game, and they want to be able to pass on the game to their kids, and they have an appreciation for the history of D&D and rpgs in general. Certainly not one and all of them, but in general, many do. I think that interest is directly spurred on by awareness via sites like The Tome of Treasures, The Acaeum, Adrian Newman's TSR Archive, Matthias and Ian's Afterglow sites, etc., etc.: without these bases to build from (and Heroic Worlds), there's no common ground, no basis from which to know anything about D&D or the rpg hobby more generally. Those sites are the gateways for old-school gamers and for the curious new schoolers to learn about the game and its history. Every quarter there are 4-8 folks on ENWorld (membership 80,000+) who are asking for scholarly references for MA theses and PhD dissertations and scholarly articles on rpgs---their history, their sociological impact on society, etc. And they get pointed to sites like ToT and others as exemplars for good historical data.

tfm wrote:
The bulk of collectors don't have any interest in promoting the hobby outside of adding to their own collections. My problem is that I didn't recognize that.

I'm not sure that this is a debatable point, since it's clearly rooted in your perception of the collecting hobby: I always get into trouble with Heather if I try to tell her that what she feels isn't right or accurate---rightness and accuracy don't matter when your feelings (and by extension, your perception) are at the crux of an issue. So, while I disagree with you, I'm not going to try to persuade you otherwise here.

tfm wrote:
The collective consciousness to do something more doesn't exist within the current community. The best moment is still what might be called the Sutherland moment. Anyway, it stands in my mind of what is possible when people work together. Of course, in 50 years, no one will even know it happened.

I think the Sutherland auctions certainly helped to pull together the gaming community---both the Acaeum/ToT crowds, as well more broadly across the industry and its fanbase. I don't, however, think that was a unique event: the support provided to the other designers who have auctioned through Paul has been quite substantial; the support provided to Rob Kuntz to launch Pied Piper and its products has also been a direct testament to the "good side" of the collector community, as well as to his fans (whether PPP has abused that trust is another issue that I hope doesn't derail this discussion).

Other charitable efforts have been made as well, in the wake of Gygax's passing (GenCon charity auction there raised well over $10K---$13K comes to mind, though I may-well have been more---as charitable donations), and at other times throughout the history of the hobby.

tfm wrote:
If something else doesn't come along to say, "Look at this great stuff! It's important and can teach as well as entertain," then I think the game is over.

I'm hopeful that there will continue to be old school products that will appearl to folks interested in that slice of the rpg market; on that basis alone, I'm hopeful that the game is still afoot. And all of that activity is a mere drop in the bucket when compared to whole of the rpg market.

FWIW, I'm not trying to goad you on, or to pick a fight: I just have a much more positive outlook on gaming and those who publish, play, and collect it than you seem to the moment, and I think that gaming's going to get better in 2009, not worse. If I'm completely missing your point and/or not addressing the crux of your concerns (which are perhaps more narrowly-focused that I'm speaking to??), let me know! Very Happy
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admire your faith Allan, I really do. I just don't have any interest in watching the hobby continue to flounder like an Al Gore presidential campaign.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> OT Tavern All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: