Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Middle-earth Role Playing (MERP) Research

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Middle-earth Role Playing (MERP) Research

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Iron Crown Enterprises -> MERP
View previous topic :: View next topic  

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Middle-earth Role Playing (MERP) Research Reply with quote

Post general MERP discussion/research here.

Guy Fullerton
Student
Student

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had intended to add info sooner, but real life (baby #2!) has been taking the vast majority of my time. Anyway, here are some tidbits...

I've been collecting printing/edition info for pre-1993 MERP stuff for a couple months. I haven't been measuring or weighing them, except when some of the others involved have done so, but there is a lot of raw data here:
http://homepage.mac.com/guyf/MERP/PrintingEditionReference.html

I've made some observations about identifying the likely year of printing for later editions:

- The trademark symbol on the ICE logo has not always existed, and has moved, but I haven't nailed down the specifics yet. I'm sure an examination of Rolemaster or other ICE products will help.

- Product numbers started to be added to the top-right of campaign module covers around 1985. So if a campaign module was originally released without a product number at the top-right (such as Moria in 1984), then a printing of that module that has a product number at the top-right is probably from 1985 or later.

- UPC barcodes started to be added around 1986. Around 1992, they switched to a different style of barcode; see 3113 The Grey Mountains for an example.

- The font used for the ISBN on the UPC barcode (if any) also provides age clues. The earliest ones use a serif font. Around 1988, they switched to a sans-serif font; see 3900 Shadow of the South for an example. Later in 1988, they switched to a computerized-looking (for lack of a better term) font; see 4010 Mirkwood for an example.

- Somewhere during 1987, they started using a box around the credits on the contents page.

- During 1989, the credits started including ICE Management & ICE Staff entries. I haven't delved into this very much to establish additional chronology based on who is listed.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very good work.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to support your research.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> MERP All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: