Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Price Guidance for "Uncaged" by Robh Ruppel Please

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Price Guidance for "Uncaged" by Robh Ruppel Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Brushstrokes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

David
Student
Student

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Price Guidance for "Uncaged" by Robh Ruppel Please Reply with quote

I may have the opportunity to acquire this piece, and would like some feedback.

You guys are some of the most knowledgeable in this field so I ask you, what do you think the value of original painting for "Uncaged" by Robh Ruppel would be?

Below is the published version:

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size? Is there more to the painting than that?

I LOVE Ruppel's work. I have managed to get a few now and would always buy another one.

David
Student
Student

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge there isn't much more to the painting than what is shown, the painting is approximately 12 by 16 inches on oil primed linen.

David
Student
Student

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do when approaching the purchasing of art, as a buyer, is to keep in mind as many different previous purchasing amounts as is possible. So the best I can do, is site a few examples and explain what I think the item is worth. Buying art can be rather subjective at best as items are unique, even within an artist's body of work.

Ruppel makes it particularly difficult for a number of different reasons ranging in size, publication location, and aesthetics of the piece. I have pieces that are barely 4"x6" studies ranging to medium (what you are looking at) to much larger, see Into the Abyss. My collection ranges from studies, to interior paintings, to full blown cover paintings. Keep in mind that Planescape items are pretty well sought after items, but this can sometimes be balanced out by the fact that it is a 2 edition TSR item....even though 2e is gaining more and more respect amongst TSR collectors. Nearly all of Robh's work is dazzling to look at. But it is art, and some pieces resonate more than others. I have found this helps to crank the prices a bit.

For comparative pricing, I picked up a nice study for $250. I have purchased a Dungeon cover for $1000. A great interior painting the Mire for $2,500. A pretty decent book cover for $800. The mighty Abyss was $2,000. All these prices were at the seller's choosing. I haven't noticed many other price points as I have been in as many of them as is possible for a reason, I love Robh's work. But I would note that the Planescape Boxset painting was for sale on Nobleknight Games for $9k and it sold!

Now, if I had to guesstimate a price on Uncaged, I'd look at a few details. I love it that you can see the heavy paint on the canvas. Robh is very confident in his abilities, and I think it shows in this ballsy move for an illustrator. However, Robh's best work falls in the range of landscape and/or action scenes, IMHO. This piece doesn't resonate as well with me as some of his other work. The characters are indelibly Planescape and this helps balance it out a bit. It is a full blown cover painting and this helps with value as well. If I was buying it, I'd be looking in the $800 - $1,500 range. Less would feel like a bargain and I might decline for much more than that. I always reserve the right to be wrong. Wink

David
Student
Student

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your thoughtful and in depth reply, I will definitely take what you have outlined into consideration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Brushstrokes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: