Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Castle Paths

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Castle Paths

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> RPG General Provisioner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

aia
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Castle Paths Reply with quote

What is exactly this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BCS-Castle-Paths-Fantasy-Game-Complete-in-Box-1981_W0QQitemZ170212738272

...is it really rare/uncommon? have no clue on this item...

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Board-Craft Simulations is the company name. They also produced Fantasy Paths and Castle paths. All include what might be described as geomorph tiles and counters, scenario booklet, and Chaosium' Basic Role Playing rules...for which these products are made for.

I'd venture a guess to call these items uncommon out of our 4 scale monster manual rating.

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 2 prints for the first boxed set Fantasy Paths. The 1st print is probably the only one that I would consider harder to find.

www.diffworlds.com has copies of Castle Paths and Village Paths for sale new in shrink at $12 each.

Beyondthebreach
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Fantasy Paths was made by Platypus in 1980. It is a green box and several years back I picked up one in a lot I purchased. The designer of the game must check in periodically on all of these that are listed on ebay as he promptly emailed me with this bit of historical info:

Quote:
Dear beyondthebreach,

Hello. I am the original developer and manufacturer of this item, having built them together with my kids in our garage-based business (Platypus) in 1980. Yes, what you depict is the original set as delivered with all documentation. Close to 1600 were made and that was it. As such I have seen prices pushing $70 to $80 at the toy conventions. BCS bought the rights from me in 1981 and marketed their own red box version through Chaosium, used the tile dies and engravings I commissioned. We never turned a profit as the initial manufacturing costs were so high and I used it as a business model for my kids. I am happy to see these come up on EBAY now and then as it is a piece of history for me and my family. In retrospect I should have put a dozen or so away for 25 years and sold them into today's collecting market. Oh well. Should any questions come up about this product you may refer them to me. Good luck in the auction. Victor Ivashin

Here is a pic of the original set:

"Yes . . . it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

lucyjoyce
Student
Student

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I wish that link to the pic of the original set was still working. I have a green boxed set - says "Fantasy Paths" down the left side, and "Adventure Board" at the top of a darker green drawing of an stone arched entry. The side of the box reads "Card Castles #80" and "From BCS and Platypus of Pleasant Hill, California". So was this from some crossover period before BCS started issuing the red box? And clue about value? Thanks for any light you can shed.

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lucyjoyce,

The green box "Fantasy Paths" is the 1st print of the set. I seem to recall that the original author/producer of set created 1500 or 1600 of them himself for sale then a second set (the red box) was produced in association with Chaosium. I forget if the original author was involved with the Chaosium prints or if he sold the license to someone else.

The green box is a lot harder to find but I'm not sure if it really translates into more money. I think I picked up my copy for around $25 for the green box and $15 for the red box so probably $25-$30 is about right. The contents of the two sets are the same.

lucyjoyce
Student
Student

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the best. Thanks so much for the information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> RPG General Provisioner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: