Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Autographed Modules, Any opinions?

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Autographed Modules, Any opinions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep
View previous topic :: View next topic  

dnddude
Student
Student

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Autographed Modules, Any opinions? Reply with quote

I was curious as to how autographed copies are viewed by collectors?
Does it usually/always increase desirability? Detract from?
Where is it preferable to request an autograph be placed? On front of cover? Title page?
Any thoughts, opinions, comments welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most items, I don't think autographs significantly add any value aside from attracting a bit more interest - there are of course some exceptions. For a module, I think the preference is to have a signature on the first page of the booklet not on the module folder. Its a nice little bonus but not a big money maker.

Getting autographs from a lot of the big names is not very difficult if you go to some of the cons they also frequent - they are usually happy to sign stuff for you.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to other hobbies but in RPG/Wargame collecting an autograph usually doesn't do much. There have been some exceptions. A T1 PH with a note scribbled into it by E.G.G. saying 'first ever sold' doubled the value of the item at auction, but that's a rare occurrence. A signature with a date is better because it can help determine the context for an item, but a signature by itself isn't a multiplier. Please remember that we're dealing with an industry that was never very big when compared with mainstream industries with luminaries that made were paid millions of dollars. One year's salary for a top actor or athlete is worth more than all the RPGs/Wargames put together. The gaming industry has had its celebrities, but they were never famous outside of their circle. Saturation and computer games have killed the RPG industry. It's dying. That's why we're trying so hard to save some of it. The Tome of Treasures isn't about the collector. It is about recording history and the people and ideas that made it possible. If we don't do something to show people why this material is worth saving, then it must perish.

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally find autographs to enhance the value of an item, though less so if the book is dedicated to a person (well, a person that's not ME Very Happy ).

In general, though, my sense of hardcore collectors is that they generally find an autograph to be a wash at best, and to detract from the value of a book most of the time.

YMMV, of course.
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

dnddude
Student
Student

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
This is the kind of info I am looking for. I was cosidering having Allen sign the copy of A3 Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords which I had originally listed in the huge lot. Any thoughts on this? Good, bad idea? I was going to ask for an autographed publicity picture to go with the Ghost Tower Designer Copy and Letter of Authenticity....but hey I'm shameless and and figured I might could have A3 signed with a generic, unnamed sentiment. Such as "Good luck and best Wishes in your collecting efforts". Something along those lines. Any opinion?

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing you could do is get a signed statement verifying provenance. Any notes made in the item you would want to describe in the auction.

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would prefer the actual item to be signed rather than a separate note - for more common items anyway. I don't think the signature in an A3 will harm your auction so it is probably worthwhile but it won't greatly increase the value either.

For the rarer items then probably the separate signed note is a better way to go.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To agree with some others...

I think common items are OK to get an autograph on. If you don't want the autograph just go buy another. It probably won't enhance it's value in the short term but it should enhance it's collectiblity while dramatically enabling you to sell it at average to above average market prices.

I wouldn't have him sign the Ghost Tower of Inverness copy. But a letter of authentication ensuring it is his copy would dramatically improve the collectiblity of the item as a unique copy with historical significance.

Jkiefer
Student
Student

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Autograph Reply with quote

Even though it may not add a great deal of value, I would be happy to sign my name on a copy of "The Temple of Andar" by World of Vision Enterprises. I just found this site, and I was really excited to learn my module has become somewhat of a collector's item :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: