Tome of Treasures :: View topic - International Wargamer during the 1970's

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

International Wargamer during the 1970's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> International Federation of Wargaming (IFW) -> International Wargamer 1970's (IFW)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: International Wargamer during the 1970's Reply with quote

Well Gents, I am looking for some entries in this research area to help fill it out the 1970s run of IWs. I would like to go ahead and enter all of these issues in the html archive area once complete. So for now, I have some obvious missing entries and a couple of open areas that need to be addressed at some point to complete the archive.....

Vol.5 #8; August? 1972

Any Issues between Vol5. #9 and #64, Spring 1973?

edit: to remove two missing issues added by Increment

Last edited by scribe on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total

increment
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt there was a Vol. 5 No. 8. published in August of 1972. I am persuaded by the note in Lowry's Guidon #3 (July 1972) saying that the IW is no longer available. It seems to me that Mr. Lowry would be in a position to know. It is possible that v5n8 was put together but never printed or shipped.

Panzerfaust #59 (July 1973) adds some further clues on the late history of the IW (from "G2 Reports: Convention News" by Lowry): "John Bobek writes that he is working on more issues of the IW (now about one year behind schedule I believe), to appear soon. But the IFW appears to be dead, as an organization. No one wants to run for office. Evidently the club is badly in debt. And nothing is being done."

Following up on that, Panzerfaust #60 (Sep 1973) notes the following (in "Pass in Review"): “The International Wargamer appeared once more out of nowhere a few weeks ago. This was Vol. 5, No. 9, John Bobek, editor. The format and contents are much the same as the last several issues. With the IW came a Dittographed sheet called the IFW News announcing a reorganization of the IFW and the death of the IW. This was the last issue. Your kindly old editor [at this point, Lowry] got his start in the fields of wargame writing, illustrating, and printing by working on the IW and it’s sad to see it end this way. An appeal was made for some wargaming magazine to take over the IW subscriptions. We’ve offered to do this but don’t know at this writing whether someone else offered first.”

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my abilities, with the excellent help from Inky!, I think the issue catalog of this section is complete! Of course all topics will remain open for further discussion and perhaps a stray issue or special will crop up at some point.

The December of '62 IW Supplement would suggest that Aug-Dec '62 issues never really happened, further supporting evidence presented above by Increment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> International Wargamer 1970's (IFW) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: