Tome of Treasures :: View topic - International Wargamer, vol. 4 no. 9 (September 1971)

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

International Wargamer, vol. 4 no. 9 (September 1971)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> International Federation of Wargaming (IFW) -> International Wargamer 1970's (IFW)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: International Wargamer, vol. 4 no. 9 (September 1971) Reply with quote

Title: International Wargamer, vol. 4 no. 9, September 1971
Type: Wargaming Club zine
Copyright: By the International Federation of Wargaming, September 1971
Managing Editor-in-Chief: John Bobek
Consulting Editors: Don Featherstone, Gary Gygax, Lenard Lakofka, Thomas Shaw
Advertising Sales Director: Kevin Knudson
Personnel Director: Tony Adams
Art Editor: Donald Lowry
Illustrations: Bob Kelso (cover photography), John Bobek, Donald Lowry, Mark Nyderek, Lenard Lakofka
Production & Publication Editor: Lenard Lakofka
Assistant Editors: Lenard Lakofka, Gerald White, Kevin Slimak, Tim Tilson, Charles O'Drobinak, Jack Van Schaik, Jon Pickens, Jay Richardson
Contributing Editors: David Arneson, Stuart Gilbert, Sid Jolly, Henry Krigsman, Carl Meuller, Rich Warnick, Jay Richardson, John Lundstrom, Rusty Smyth. Lewis Pulsipher, Willard Lichty, J.E. Pournelle PhD, Robert Mijanovich, Tyrone Bomba, Ken Burke, Mike Reese, Paul Jameson, Jim Dapkus, George Phillies, Tom Webster, Pat Romane, Frank Curtis, Stephen Thomas, George Lord, Larry Albert, Dan Ralston, Peter Danner, Mark Irwin, Don Lowry, Pat Mayernik, Mike Carr, Lou Zocchi, A.W. Macintyer, Jeff Perrin, Leon Tucker, Bruce Miller, James Lurvey, Arnold J. Hendrick, Lenard Lakofka, E. Gary Gygax
Place of Publication: Evansville, Indiana
Printer: Lowry's Hobbies
Cover Price: $.60
Mass: 58g
Dimensions: Height 28cm, Width 21.6cm, Depth .2cm
Format: Full sized, Light cardstock cover (off-white), 20 pages including covers printed front and back, 2 additional map pages are stapled onto the back of this copy from original binding, the back side of the maps are blank and thus a scan of the back of this issue is not included. 3 staples.

Contents:
WAR in 1 : 32 scale. by Dan Ralston
LUFTWAFFE, some 2nd thoughts. by Tyrone Bomba
BROADSIDES, part 1. by George Lord
Don't give up the Ship, (3). by Arneson & Gygax
the Planes of WWI (1). by Bruce Miller
TSG BARBAROSSA Extension. by Tyrone Bomba
TRACKLINKS Tidbits. by Mike Reese
WWII wasn't fought in the Ardennes. by Jim Dapkus
PANZERBLITZ addenda. by A.J. Hendrick
BERLIN '71 revisited. by Jay Richardson
S. & T. of armor miniatures. by Jay Richardson
Napoleon Grand Tactics, (4). by Pat Mayernik
Introduction to ARIES. by Leon Tucker
the use of Artillery. by Jay Richardson

Advertisements of interest:
WARGAMER'S NEWSLETTER (Monthly magazine subscription offer for wargamers. Contact is Donald Featherstone in England)
THE WARGAMER (Bimonthly magazine for wargaming. Contact in Wheaton, Maryland)
THE COURIER (wargaming magazine subscription offer touted in this issue as "America's Newest Miniature Wargaming Magazine" )
AFV-G2 (Monthly magazine subsciption offer for Armour buffs. Contacts in California and Great Britian)
Militaria (Bi-monthly military publication for military collectibles. by DO Enterprises in California)

=====================================

Scribe's Musings:

The items of interest in this issue would be Arneson's and Gygax co-authorship of "Don't Give up the Ship" article. It states this is part 3 so I assume the first two parts were printed previously. I am missing the August 1971 issue which purportedly carries Gygax's article about Chainmail revisions Mad and probably at least one of the first two installments of this co-effort.

At any rate, this portion of the article contains the game mechanics including die rolls charts for damage during melee, etc. Arneson published many articles in IW after this issue pretty much every month for the next year (at least from the contents and limits of my collection). Most of the rest of Arnerson's solo articles mostly define historical ship information to be used with these rules.

increment
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The August 1971 issue does indeed carry part 2 of the DGUTS rules. There are some Chainmail additions in there by Gygax (the first description of giants), but mostly the article is a review of the game by Lakofka: the only early Chainmail review I've seen that does not heap scorn and derision on the fantasy rules.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. If you get a chance, could you add any missing issues to date? I am working backwards from newest to oldest and I am probably only halfway done with both the IW and IWsupplements. I would love to load this up to an archive chapter when I am finished, while everything is still fresh in my memory.

increment
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll drag a scanner up here and see what I can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> International Wargamer 1970's (IFW) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: